PDA

View Full Version : candy apple maple

Larry Pickering
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Maple, painted candy apple red with automotive base coat paint. Butterfly done with markers, clear coated with lacquer, which gave it a high gloss that made it impossible to photograph. 9 inches high by 4 inches at it's widest.

Eric Gourieux
03-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Larry, the butterfly was done with markers? Wow, you are quite the artist. I like the form. And the gloss finish is really nice.

Quinn McCarthy
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I really like that one Larry. Great finish.

Quinn

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Nice artwork, great colors and I really like the high gloss finish!

Jim Burr
03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
No falling for that old trick...those butterflies were cast into the vessel and turned!!;):D That is some sharp work all around Larry.

Scott Lux
03-26-2012, 2:05 PM
The shape is great, the butterflies are amazing, and the finish is flawless.

Baxter Smith
03-26-2012, 3:37 PM
Thats an attention grabber! Very flashy work Larry!

David E Keller
03-26-2012, 7:18 PM
Nicely done, Larry! Lots of eye candy with the artwork, color, and finish… And, it's all on a really nice form!

John Keeton
03-26-2012, 7:58 PM
Excellent artwork!! I would put a net over that vase for fear the butterflies would fly away!

Marc Himes
03-26-2012, 8:33 PM
Great form, finish, and butterflies. I love the color and the high gloss finish. That shade of red is hard to find in Dyes but your paint sure hits it right on.

Bob Bergstrom
03-26-2012, 8:41 PM
That would look great on my motorcycle tank (if I still had one) Great art work and love those candy colors. All we're missing is a little metal fleck. Thanks for sharing a wonderful piece.

Eric Holmquist
03-26-2012, 9:21 PM
Wow, amazing color and butterfly. A bit extreme, even for me, but I love it.

I've never played with candy colors but get the impression that they are transparent. What base color would you use under candy colors?

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2012, 9:43 PM
Vase and artwork look great. Nice colors.

Larry Pickering
03-27-2012, 8:52 AM
Wow, amazing color and butterfly. A bit extreme, even for me, but I love it.

I've never played with candy colors but get the impression that they are transparent. What base color would you use under candy colors?

Candy colors are very transparent, a little bit of dye, mixed with a lot of clear, this piece has a gold metallic base, you can use any color you want for a base, a silver would have given me a lighter shade of red, a red metallic would give a darker shade of red, I have seen street rods done with a black base,

For those who think paint on wood is sacrilegious, it can be, but this wood screamed for paint, I thought the blank was curly maple, the curl turned out to be saw marks, and I ended up with a veryplain hollow form.

jwjerry w kowalski
03-27-2012, 9:52 AM
Wow, what a finish! Looks too difficult for me to try, but I sure enjoy looking at it, you did something quite innovative.

Eric Holmquist
03-27-2012, 4:14 PM
How would a candy color over iridescent gold differ from a transparent acrylic acrylic over the same base?

I often airbrush light iridescent pearl images then airbrush a transparent acrylic wash over it to create ghost images in the background.

Larry Pickering
03-28-2012, 1:11 PM
How would a candy color over iridescent gold differ from a transparent acrylic acrylic over the same base?

I often airbrush light iridescent pearl images then airbrush a transparent acrylic wash over it to create ghost images in the background.

The same effect, pearls are basically mini metal flakes, using mylar instead of aluminum