PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations/suggestions for Engraving/Cutting...

Jerrod Meyer
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey there. I'm looking into buying a machine for engraving parts. I manufacture arrow rests, and after they get anodized, I have them sent out to get laser engraving. There are both hash marks and lettering etched into the aluminum. I'm really wanting to get a machine so I can do everything here, and have the option of doing more elaborate work if I want. I'd also like to use it to possibly cut fabric/mole skin for the adhesive silencing material I send with the rest. Typically the biggest part that I would be etching would be 3-4" square max. I would, however, like to have the option of doing bigger parts if I want to. What would you recommend for a type of machine?? I really know nothing about them, so any input would be great...thanks!!!

Doug Novic
03-27-2012, 6:29 PM
Parts are small, start small and affordable. 35 watt minimum, desk top size and practice, practice, practice. After you are generating a decent profit margin with the laser go bigger if this is what you want. As far as which laser to purchase? I don't even want to go there. Every one has their favorite and they all differ for one reason or another. It's kind of asking what is the best car to buy.

Good luck and success.

Jerrod Meyer
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Is there anything I want to stay away from?? Looking at some Trotecs right now....thinking probably a 60W

Mike Null
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Jerrod

I've had my Trotec for nearly 7 years without any issues. They're built to stand continuous hard use in a production environment. If I were buying again it would be a Trotec.

Be sure to tell them you're entitled to the Sawmill Creek discount.

Jerrod Meyer
04-02-2012, 9:15 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the info!!