PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Rant

Jay Albrandt
03-25-2005, 11:42 PM
For the record, I have been formerly happy with Amazon. In fact, I never had an occasion to contact them.

I recently had a horrible, no, actually more of an unbelieveable experience with Amazon.com. When I spoke to a customer service rep to find out why my order from Jessem had been delayed 4 times ( I ordered in January), with the most recent putting the delievery estimated in April, the rep told me their is nothing else they can do.

I called Jessem to see if it was a supply issue, and then they called Amazon and "got absolutely no where". Apparently, Amazon faxed Jessem the orders, but Jessem never got the faxes, and Amazon never followed up.

I called Amazon customer service back and asked to speak with the person who sets up these accounts so this wouldn't happen again. The rep told me "that this issue is not a customer service issue, and if you have nothing else, we are done". WHAT?! I couldn't believe that he said that! I told him that plenty of people from this website and others I frequent would be interested in this statement, and then he said..."Those opinions are not going to change how we do business".

Needless to say, I was flabberghasted! Also, needless to say, I will not be ordering anything else from Amazon. Just thought you all might want to know that your collective opinion doesn't matter to Amazon.

I called Mikes tools and had the product in 2 days. Of course, it was a little more expensive, but for now on....I will only be supporting the "little guys" with my tool purchases.

Thanks for reading.

Jay

Dennis Peacock
03-26-2005, 12:16 AM
I have only ordered from Amazon one time.....and that was the last time I ordered ANY tool or supply from Amazon. Nuff said before I get my blood pressure up!!!!! :rolleyes:

Bill Arnold
03-26-2005, 4:23 AM
I've had very little problem with Amazon and have used them for many years. I've made several tool purchases from them, the most recent being a DeWalt 788 scroll saw. There was in issue with the first one they sent being delayed and that turned out to be a FedEx problem; they dropped the package and destroyed it. Amazon sent another out on Next Day delivery; this one arrived OK and when I took it out of the box there was a minor scratch on the end of the motor housing. I reported the slight damage to Amazon and told them the tool seemed to be working fine. They gave me a 20% refund for keeping the 'damaged' tool. It works perfectly.

There have been times I've wondered about their policy on the 'free shipping' offer. When you place an order, the default is 'standard ground shipping'. When you change it to 'free shipping', it shows a credit on the order for the amount of regular shipping. Then, it seems they build in a 1-2 week delay in shipping when you choose 'free shipping' to encourage you to pay for another shipping option. I'll play that game with them; there's nothing I order that I have to have immediately. Besides, part of the responsibility is mine in planning my orders.

Regards,

Steve Clardy
03-26-2005, 9:16 AM
Never had a problem from them. Fast shipping

Matt Meiser
03-26-2005, 9:41 AM
There have been times I've wondered about their policy on the 'free shipping' offer. When you place an order, the default is 'standard ground shipping'. When you change it to 'free shipping', it shows a credit on the order for the amount of regular shipping. Then, it seems they build in a 1-2 week delay in shipping when you choose 'free shipping' to encourage you to pay for another shipping option. I'll play that game with them; there's nothing I order that I have to have immediately. Besides, part of the responsibility is mine in planning my orders.

At least with books and electronics, I've always gotten "Free Shipping" within 4 days or so. They still seem to ship within 24 hours, but use Fedex Super Saver which is slower.

Mark Singer
03-26-2005, 9:55 AM
I have ordered lots of stuff from them and with excellent service.

Rob Littleton
03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
For the record, I have been formerly happy with Amazon. In fact, I never had an occasion to contact them.

I recently had a horrible, no, actually more of an unbelieveable experience with Amazon.com. When I spoke to a customer service rep to find out why my order from Jessem had been delayed 4 times ( I ordered in January), with the most recent putting the delievery estimated in April, the rep told me their is nothing else they can do.

I called Jessem to see if it was a supply issue, and then they called Amazon and "got absolutely no where". Apparently, Amazon faxed Jessem the orders, but Jessem never got the faxes, and Amazon never followed up.

I called Amazon customer service back and asked to speak with the person who sets up these accounts so this wouldn't happen again. The rep told me "that this issue is not a customer service issue, and if you have nothing else, we are done". WHAT?! I couldn't believe that he said that! I told him that plenty of people from this website and others I frequent would be interested in this statement, and then he said..."Those opinions are not going to change how we do business".

Needless to say, I was flabberghasted! Also, needless to say, I will not be ordering anything else from Amazon. Just thought you all might want to know that your collective opinion doesn't matter to Amazon.

I called Mikes tools and had the product in 2 days. Of course, it was a little more expensive, but for now on....I will only be supporting the "little guys" with my tool purchases.

Thanks for reading.

Jay

Interesting stuff.....did you get any names of the arrogant people you worked with?

I recently ran into a problem with a roofing comapny not returning my calls or coming over to fix a problem (after being promised time and time again). I dropped a line to the Better Business Bureau, lo and behold, 2 days later, the roofing company called me to tell they have been over and fixed the problem and they found another bad tile they fixed, and they also mentioned they got an email from the BBB and was sorry it went that far.

Now, that was for a small guy here in town but I'm sure the more complaints the BBB gets about one company, the mopre red flags it will raise.

Food for thought.

John Shuk
03-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Free shipping has always worked out well for me. I have never paid for shipping with them so I don't know how paid could be better. As far as large purchases go I am lucky enough to have a local tool store that has as much as Amazon and more and usually when you ask for a price they whip out the most recent Amazon catalog and adjust their price so that with tax you are right there. I guess that Amazon has been good to me but it is still better to go to the brick and mortar as far as I am concerned.

Lou Morrissette
03-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I've had good luck ordering tools from Amazon with the exception of my Delta mortiser that was back ordered twice during a promotion. It took about six weeks to get it with free shipping but it only cost me $199. Regular price was $249. I guess I can't complain.

Lou

Jerry Olexa
03-26-2005, 3:32 PM
I have ordered many books from Amazon w good success. Never tools. Also Dvds, electronic. Generally happy!!

Paul Prescott
03-26-2005, 10:40 PM
I've personally placed over 500 orders with Amazon, ever since they came on-line (tools, books, electronics, you name it). Always free shipping w/o a problem. Few recent delays in tools, but nothing too bad. Since I hate paying sales tax, I love Amazon!