PDA

View Full Version : One way to invisibly repair a plane tote

James Taglienti
03-25-2012, 9:52 PM
This is a pretty good way to repair a plane tote that has a somewhat clean break in it. First I remove it from the plane. Then I fold it in half along the break, like closing a book. 228023228024
I line up the two broken faces as perfectly as I can, and clamp the pieces in a vise, making sure they project enough to be worked on. This is the most crucial part and it can take as long as 5 minutes just for me to get them like I want. Usually there are a couple high spots in the center of the break that I knock off with a chisel. This helps to determine if the parts are lined up perfectly. 228025228026 At this point I may realign them, or call good enough. If they are aligned nicely, I will plane them perfectly flat, making sure that I take each pass across the entire area. Its important to establish some good flat points early on, and then stay on that plane until both pieces are nice and smooth, with a crisp outline. I don't take them out of the vise to test fit. I'm afraid I will never get them back in correctly. Instead i use a ruler to check for flat. When I'm happy with the flat, I will take the pieces out and glue and clamp them. They should line up straight when viewed from the back, but there will be a transition line from one to the other that has to be filed away. I will leave this on the back of the tote as its easier to shape an outside curve. 228028A little creative clamping will help you if you use pva glue. Watch for slippage. Its almost guaranteed. I use mostly CA any more. Once the glue is set, the clamps come off and I use a wood file to blend the transition where the joint is. I take my time here and will blend halfway up the tote if I have to. I used to try to do this with just a piece of sandpaper but I could never get the joint perfect as I can with a file. Usually I make sure to clamp the end that needs the most wood removed, so i can press a little harder. Then I sand with 220 and 320. 228037Here is a picture of the tote after sanding. I remove all the file marks with 220, and with the 320 I will sand the wood again, and also scuff sand whatever lacquer is left, sometimes scuffing the whole piece. I apply one coat of lacquer with a flux brush or a rag (redneck i know), and I will smear it over everything I scuffed earlier. Then i barely let it dry because I am impatient, and I scuff it with 0000 steel wool and then rub it with a clean cloth to polish it out a bit. The tote is now 1/16" shorter than factory, but nobody will notice. The finished repair is here:228038228036 Thanks for reading.

Jim Ritter
03-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Nice tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Mark Dorman
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Very nice James. I have a tote for my 603 that is a good candidate for this. thanks

george wilson
03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
A clever way to do a good job.

Brian Kent
03-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Very nice. I have never folded a plane handle in half before. It's probably easier after it's broken.

Chris Griggs
03-26-2012, 7:15 AM
Nice James! Just reglued a plane tote last weekend - wish I'd thought to do that. Brilliant!

Paul Saffold
03-26-2012, 9:30 AM
I'd never of thought to use CA. I've done repairs with epoxy. If they were a clean break and would fit together really well, I just epoxy them as is. I've never had one look as seamless as your repair though. Nice job and thanks for sharing.
Paul

Zach Dillinger
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
A very clever way to make the repair. Nicely done.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Great tutorial. Maybe this should be put in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs for future reference.

I have done similar repairs. I use epoxy so some of the wood dust can be added for color.

I have also use a piece of rosewood in the repair area to make a tote taller to fit my hand better.

jtk

Bill Houghton
03-26-2012, 2:56 PM
Thanks for this, but before I tried this, I'd push the break back together and see how obvious it is. I've repaired several broken totes, and on all but one of them, just regluing has made the break all but invisible (I use regular old yaller glue, Titebond II because that's my standard shop glue).

I haven't tried a handscrew for gluing a tote. I've tended to use the Quick-Grip type clamps (like these: http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/sl300-one-handed-bar-clamps-spreaders , except that I have the originals before Vise-Grip bought the company and then Irwin bought Vise-Grip). Between the soft plastic faces and the flex inherent in the plastic jaws, they'll move around just enough to apply straight-line pressure through the tote.

Jim Matthews
03-26-2012, 6:05 PM
Wish I had thought of this.

+1 on that's clever.

Deane Allinson
03-26-2012, 6:53 PM
Very nice repair!! First class job.
Deane

James Taglienti
03-26-2012, 7:51 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement !

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-26-2012, 8:43 PM
I like this method. Particularly helpful when you don't have a clean enough break to just glue together.

Last time I had to glue a tote, also used a small clamp to align the parts (like you show) but did the majority of the clamping with a threaded rod through the tote, and two wooden plugs (the left-overs from a hole-saw cut, I think I shaved them into wedges a bit to keep the force in the right direction) threaded on it, and then clamped down with bolts. Sort of like a spool clamp.

Pat Barry
03-26-2012, 10:24 PM
James - which CA glue do you use for this, is it a slow cure version? Any gap filling properties? I didn't think CA glue would be strong enough for this - thanks for the tip.

James Taglienti
03-27-2012, 7:28 AM
Pat,
i use Fastcap medium. Ive got a couple totes that have been like this for 2 years. They are smoothers though... If i was putting this tote on a larger plane i might redrill a dowel into it from the bottom. Definitely after the repair is finished though. I bet there are better glues out there for this.

Michael Ray Smith
03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Very nice! Definitely in the "why didn't I think of that?" category -- which is always a sign of a great idea.

Eric Brown
03-28-2012, 7:27 PM
Nice job James. This same techniqe would work for saw handles too. I once shortened a TFWW dovetail saw by sawing out about 1/2" and regluing. It may have looked even better if I had used your idea. Thanks.

Eric

Brent VanFossen
03-30-2012, 2:31 AM
I'll add my "Very nice" to the group. Thanks!

Christian Castillo
03-30-2012, 3:46 AM
+1 to the above, I have always used a 3"x3" piece of granite tile with sand paper and lapped both surfaces flat, then re-glued them. However, I would get alignment issues sometimes, I'm going to start using your way and see how it works for me. Thanks for the tip James.