PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Gouge Storage

Scott Gibbons
03-25-2012, 8:32 PM
I thought I would share a quick pick of my gouge storage. I needed something to store my tools but I wanted to also be able to roll it away when I was done. I have seen quite a few projects here on the creek, All very nice, but I wanted something quick so I could get back to turning.. or learning to turn :) I was going for function over form on this one LOL

everything game from the BORG. 4 caster, 3 lazy susan's, and a few pieces of metal pipe.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=228017&d=1332721518

Doug Colombo
03-25-2012, 9:21 PM
Nice job !

Doug W Swanson
03-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Looks nice but I hate to burst your bubble. That's not a lathe you want to be turning wood on!:D

Mike Cruz
03-26-2012, 8:09 AM
Great idea, Scott. What are you turning on, btw?

Mike Peace
03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I see you have a bottom rack ready to be drilled when you get additional tools.

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks all,
Doug, that was my grandfathers EMCO lathe, he used to make steam engines. Looking for some time to start playing with it. I want to make a hit and miss engine :)
Mike C., I am turning on a delta 46-460
Mike P., I do, It also made a good shelf for my chuck :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Looks good Scott! Just hope it doesn't get too top-heavy with all your gouges!

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Steve,
I share the same concerns. As it sits now, it is pretty solid. Down the road I will probably have to re-purpose the parts and make a more square or rectuangular one

Steve Busey
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
A great simple solution. Been looking for ideas for a new stand for myself - this looks intriguing!

Steve Busey
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
everything game from the BORG. 4 caster, 3 lazy susan's, and a few pieces of metal pipe. THREE lazy susans?? I can see where TWO might be used (under top deck and under bottom deck), but not a third. Where's it hiding?

Scott Gibbons
03-26-2012, 1:10 PM
Just the lazy susan decks, not the actual bearing parts.

george wilson
03-26-2012, 1:50 PM
I often use a metal lathe to turn wood. However,I am careful to not leave chips standing on the bare metal. They can corrode it.

I was pretty dismayed in a local wood tool store,to see a brand new OneWay lathe left with chips of GREEN WOOD left right on the ground bed after a salesman had demonstrated it. Had it been my store,I would not have put up with that kind of disregard for any of the machines in the store.

Pat Scott
03-26-2012, 7:39 PM
I was pretty dismayed in a local wood tool store,to see a brand new OneWay lathe left with chips of GREEN WOOD left right on the ground bed after a salesman had demonstrated it. Had it been my store,I would not have put up with that kind of disregard for any of the machines in the store.

I agree with having respect for your tools. I thought a selling point for Oneway was that they had stainless steel ways? Just asking, I would have cleaned off the chips myself.