PDA

View Full Version : One more steaming question

Joe McMahon
03-25-2012, 7:11 PM
I put one of my 1/4" kiln dried cherry chair back slats in the steamer for 20 minutes. I took it out and put it into the form and closed the two parts of the form together with clamps. It apparently bent OK as I didn't hear any "crack" nor did I see any damage.

How long should it sit in the form?

Thanks for ALL of the help with this project, Joe

Jim Ritter
03-25-2012, 8:30 PM
The longer the better. Overnight minimum I would think. Most of the things I steam get bent into place and don't come out ( boat ribs ).

Greg Wease
03-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Another recommendation from Russ Filbeck's class--leave it in the form for two weeks! Hope you over-bent the slats as there will be some springback.

Bob Glenn
03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
The longer you leave the slats in the form, the less spring back there will be. Soooo, if you built your forms exactly like you want the finished slats to be, better leave them in there for a while. You might try taking one out after a couple days and see what it does. If it starts to straight out, put it back in the form.

russell lusthaus
03-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I usually leave bend ups in the form for at least 24 hours - and then, if the piece will be stressed at all, I will not stress it for an additional 2-3 days for it regain the moisture lost due to the heating.

I also always over bend as there will be spring back.

Russ

Jim Neeley
03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Is there a "rule of thumb" for overbending... or is it all "it depends"?

Bob Glenn
03-26-2012, 2:44 PM
Is there a "rule of thumb" for overbending... or is it all "it depends"?

Jim, as far as I know, it's "by gosh and by golly"

Mark Hulette
04-04-2012, 1:10 PM
You can also tie cotton twine between the bent ends if you take the wood out of the forms and are concerned there may be some springback. Not sure how much bend would be in the slats (fairly flat).

We did this in Mike Dunbar's sackback class after bending in the form (with straps) after just a few minutes. Worked very well.

Carl Beckett
04-04-2012, 3:02 PM
Joe:

How did these turn out? I have an exact project underway.....

Mine will be approx 1/4" to 3/8" thick 'stats' - approx 3" wide, and another approx 5" wide. Both of these curved top to bottom which spans about 16". Im hoping to get these formed from walnut.

What I have learned so far per prior posts...... dont put them in the dishwasher to steam, makes a mess and upsets the wife .

The rest I am still figuring out.