PDA

View Full Version : hot glue question

Matt Newton
03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I've heard people use hot glue to attach sacraficial blocks. I just bought a hot glue gun and am wondering if there is a difference in the glue sticks. If so which one's should I use. Thanks for the help.

ray hampton
03-25-2012, 3:18 PM
the glue stick package may have this information on the package, I will recommended a heavy duty or severe duty glue stick

charlie knighton
03-25-2012, 4:13 PM
I've heard people use hot glue to attach sacraficial blocks. if you are going to shape the blocks, you need something to hold it so the glue can hold it, 2 #8 screws then hot glue the edges works for me on multi-axis pieces

Marty Eargle
03-25-2012, 9:26 PM
I use the standard sticks that are right beside the glue guns at Lowes. I would guess that any brand you buy at a big box or hardware store would be fine assuming you have a gun that can get hot enough.

As far as the process goes, I use a hardwood glue block on just about every project I turn and the glue has held without fail countless times. The most important aspects are getting the glue nice a hot and making sure the two surfaces you're joining together are flat so the maximum amount of surface area can make contact.

Richard Allen
03-25-2012, 9:47 PM
Hot melt glue can be a good choice but as with most mounting techniques there is a learning curve. Until you are comfortable that your hot melt glue method is effective for your style of woodturning you might develop a "test" protocol. This could be as simple as whacking the blank with a hammer to "test" the secureness of the hot melt glue. Some woods are a bit oily and hot melt glue could be a problem.

robert baccus
03-26-2012, 11:48 PM
There are bowl blanks and bowl blanks. are we talking about a 3# small piece or a 35# green long blank. i personally would not trust hot glue on a heavy piece and never on wet-green wood. the devil's in the details.---good luck------Old forester