PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Bill Bulloch
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Dahl Perry and his lovely wife Shirley stopped by for a visit Saturday on their way home from vacationing in Flordia. We had a nice visit. Gave them the 75 Cents tour of my shop and wood stash. We talked about everything turning. A lot about segmenting -- to sand or not to sand segment end grains -- and I showed him the positioning jig and how I get the spacing alignment for my opening segmented pieces. Who knows we may have another convert to the wonderful world of segmentation. Dalh and Shirley are both open and friendly people the kind you would expect to find on the Creek and my wife and I both really enjoyed the visit. They stayed for about an hour and a half before they had to hit the road back to Indiana. And of course, I sent him home with some of the Pecan he was wanting to turn and some other blanks to play with.

I'm the cutie on the Right.

Greg Just
03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a great visit. It is nice to meet the friends we make here on the Creek.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2012, 9:21 PM
Sounds like a good time Bill. Creeker visits are the best.

Roger Chandler
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Woo hooo...........now Dahl has some pecan wood to turn............nice gesture you made Bill............the visit and the wood. Getting some one on one segmenting instruction has to be a highlight for Dahl.........lucky guy!

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Always great to hear when Creekers get a chance to visit! Sounds like it was a fun time! Looking forward to seeing what Dahl turns from the Pecan!

Dahl Troy Perry
03-27-2012, 9:45 PM
This was one of the best vacations in a long time in the past we have a long drive home and you never look forward to the drive home. It means you go back to work the next day. BUT I looked forward to the drive home all week just because I knew I'd be stoping in Ga. to meet Bill and his lovely wife And get a piece of pecan to turn I thought! Bill showed me all his bowls and vases and how he glues up open segmented bowls.Boy I wish I was 1/10 as good as bill was at segmented work! It's something I would really like to be good at but I'm not yet. Bill showed me his home made kiln for drying wood and bowls( took real good mental notes to build one)Could not ask for a nicer host and hostess hated to leave would liked to have talked more about segmented work. If I lived 5 to 6 miles closer I would be at Bill's shop a lot for training but that extra 5-6 miles makes the drive tooo long. Then we went to the wood shed no thats sheds full of wood at this point I was drouling. Then Bill said back your van up here so you don't have to carry the pecan to the van. We had a great time and hope we can stop next time we travel south and have time to turn something. When we left and got to the I 75 north bound it was a parking lot for the next 3 hours did not care I turned the mirror down to look in the back of the van and this is what I looked at for the rest of the trip home thinking what I would turn with each piece. There is Pecan, Ambrosa maple, Bradford pear, stink wood gum

John Keeton
03-28-2012, 6:48 AM
Sounds like a great visit between two kindred spirits! Nice load of wood there, Dahl.

Trevor Howard
03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice looking Haul Dahl, looking forward to seeing what you make from it.
By the way, I guess you left your luggage so you could haul the wood :D