PDA

View Full Version : I did it, I joined the pad generation....

Bill Huber
03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Well it is not an Ipad but its great, I got the Asus Transformer Prime. It has all the same features of an Ipad, the cloud, all kinds of free apps and great battery life. You can also get a keyboard for it, which I did, you just pop the pad into the keyboard and now you have a 10" net book.

Some of the nice things are it has a USB, mSD slot and an HDMI out all right on the pad. There is a battery in the keyboard that will give you like 16 to 18 hours of running with the keyboard attached, or like 8 or 9 hours without the keyboard.

I got the 64gb model, it has a 10.1 screen which is 16:9 screen. The little thing is fast, it has a quad core processor in it that is running at 1.3 Ghz. Now coming from the computer world I am thinking a 1.3 processor is going to be like dog slow, but its not, it is fast and runs movies and other apps just fine.

I have only loaded 2 woodworking apps so far but I am sure I will be adding more as time goes on.

Bob Lloyd
03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Bill

Keep us posted as to how it works for you. I am weighing options as to what to do in the near future. thanks

Bob

Steve Southwood
03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I have been trying to buy of of those for over a month now. None of my local stores have them in yet.

Bill Huber
03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I have been trying to buy of of those for over a month now. None of my local stores have them in yet.

No one has them around here, and in Dallas / Fort Worth you would think they would. I had to order it on Amazon, it came in a really shot time just like all the stuff I get from them.
There was some at Best Buy but they were just the 32gb models and I wanted the 64. Now that I have it and got a 32gb mSD card I guess I would have been just fine with the 32gb model, I have 8 movies and over a 100 MP3s and still am not really using that much space.

Steve Southwood
03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I think I am going with the 32 gb model and run a small card as well. Keep us up to date on how it performs.

Douglas Clark
03-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Have fun with that. They can be addictive and my wife, who was initially a little irritated I had spent the money a year ago, is now suggesting that we may need a second one. Between, her and me and occasionally the kids there tends to be a little competition for it's use, at times.

I really like mine the most for traveling as I can take a bunch of media with me at once on one device. I also use mine to keep all my lesson plans and lesson material on for different teaching assignments I have. Anyhow, I could go on and on; but I won't, I'll just say...

HAVE FUN!

Chuck Wintle
03-25-2012, 5:44 PM
No one has them around here, and in Dallas / Fort Worth you would think they would. I had to order it on Amazon, it came in a really shot time just like all the stuff I get from them.
There was some at Best Buy but they were just the 32gb models and I wanted the 64. Now that I have it and got a 32gb mSD card I guess I would have been just fine with the 32gb model, I have 8 movies and over a 100 MP3s and still am not really using that much space.
was wondering how much they cost vs and iPad?

Bill Huber
03-25-2012, 6:26 PM
was wondering how much they cost vs and iPad?

The Asus TF201 with 64gb is $599 and the new Ipad 3 with 64gb is $775. Now I do think you can get the Ipad 2 $650 but I think the prices will be coming down on them.

Tim Morton
03-25-2012, 7:06 PM
The Asus TF201 with 64gb is $599 and the new Ipad 3 with 64gb is $775. Now I do think you can get the Ipad 2 $650 but I think the prices will be coming down on them.

New iPad with 64gb and 4G connectivity is actually $829, and without 4G it is $699. I just picked up a 32gb with 4g and it was $729. I am a fan of both the Mac os and the android OS, but this is my first venture into the mac IOS. So far i would have to say i am pleased with the iPad...i have come to appreciate the polish of it compared to the android OS, but to be honest I am sure they are both excellent products.

Keith Outten
03-26-2012, 6:33 AM
I just purchased my second iPad. This time I got the 64gb with the 4g service. My intent is to be able to use the new machine to create content rather than just store it for use. The 4g feature gives me access to The Creek anywhere I travel. These are amazing machines, I can't believe how far and how fast mobile devices have come. The new retinal display is unlike anything I have ever seen and the new iPad is fast enough to actually do some real work.

So now I own an iPhone, iMac and a new iPad. All purchased in the last 18 months which is unbelievable to me since I have been a Windows user since PC DOS version 2.

Tim Morton
03-26-2012, 5:08 PM
I just purchased my second iPad. This time I got the 64gb with the 4g service. My intent is to be able to use the new machine to create content rather than just store it for use. The 4g feature gives me access to The Creek anywhere I travel. These are amazing machines, I can't believe how far and how fast mobile devices have come. The new retinal display is unlike anything I have ever seen and the new iPad is fast enough to actually do some real work.

So now I own an iPhone, iMac and a new iPad. All purchased in the last 18 months which is unbelievable to me since I have been a Windows user since PC DOS version 2.

appleTV?:p

Keith Outten
03-26-2012, 9:32 PM
Tim,

Funny you should ask :)
I did get an Apple TV months ago but my original iPad wouldn't do the live link, I could send files to it but I couldn't use it for the purpose I had hoped. The new iPad should do the trick though, I hope to test it soon. I have another ADA training session coming up in a few weeks, this should be a great tool for demonstrating techniques, showing videos and slide shows.

Greg Peterson
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
While the iPad is doing about what I figured it would do (a game changer), there is one little, unintended consequence of the of the high definition display.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/tech/gaming-gadgets/ipad-magazine-display/index.html

As long as the user is on a Wi-Fi connection, file size isn't a major deal (RAM may be a consideration). But if you are downloading a few high res issues of a magazine or books, you could easily go past your data plans limits. Just something to keep in mind.

I still think the iPad is a game changing device thanks in large part to its elegant design.

Rick Potter
03-28-2012, 8:49 PM
Sheesh Bill,

I thought you were talking about a heating pad.:D

Rick Potter