PDA

View Full Version : Gustav Stickley /Harvey Ellis 913 Dresser

Doug Cowan
03-25-2005, 9:47 PM
I finally finished this dresser for my daughter Holly. She wanted a mission style dresser, and after looking at every design we could find she decided this was the one. It was originally to be her Christmas present, but work, travel and finally the weather all got in the way. Oh well, better late than never. It isn't a true reproduction, as it only appeared in the Stickley catalog with the paneled sides, but was manufactured with solid wood sides. We liked the look with paneled sides so we went that route. It is made from quarter saw white oak, with poplar for the drawers, and squared ebony pegs in the legs. The recipe for the finish came from Chris Schwartz at Popular Woodworking magazine, aniline dye, shellac, dark glaze rubbed on then off, followed by sprayed lacquer. Thanks for looking.

Bruce Page
03-25-2005, 9:59 PM
Holly looks like a very proud daughter! Your dresser looks beautiful! The drawer fit looks great, what size gap did you use? The spacing of the dovetails looks perfect.

Roy Wall
03-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Doug,

Looks beautiful.....excellent craftsmanship (that goes for the dresser too!:) )

Seriously, the drawers lines look great - I like that style. THis is a treasure for your daughter.........and her daughter....

Cool stuff!!

Jim Stastny
03-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Excellent job. I love the finish.

Doug Cowan
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks Bruce, I cut the drawers the same size as the openings then just hand planed off enough so that they fit nice.

By the way, my next project is a cradle like the one you posted a while back. When our oldest daughter asked me to build a cradle for her baby due in August, we went looking for inspiration on the web. When we saw your Cherry and Birdseye Maple cradle we both fell in love with it.

Corvin Alstot
03-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Gustav would be proud! As will your daughter.
Great job.

Mike Vermeil
03-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Looks awesome Doug. Great patterns in the wood. Love the finish!

Wes Bischel
03-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Outstanding! That's dresser will be handed down for generations.

Wes

Rob Russell
03-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Nice job! Her smile says it all!

Jason Tuinstra
03-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Now that's a post. I don't think a post is complete until we see the dovetails! Thanks. What a great project. From fit to finish, you have a winner here! You're daughter will always tell the story about how her father made her dresser for her. Who knows, she might also say, "And he made my bed, and my hope chest, and don't forget my side table, and..." :eek: :D

Great job! Way to go.

David Figueroa
03-26-2005, 1:02 AM
I love Stickley furniture, but cannot afford it... Did you build from plans, if so where did you get them?

thanks.

Richard Wolf
03-26-2005, 8:39 AM
Beautiful job. Great workmanship. Nice to see a picture with the happy customer.

Richard

Silas Smith
03-26-2005, 9:10 AM
Excellent work, I'm sure your great, great, great grandchildren will fight over that piece. By the way, what did you cut the dovetails with? Please don't tell me a saw and chisel or I'm going to quit woodworking because I'm not worthy.

Mark Singer
03-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Beautiful design and crafstmanship! There is really some talent on this SMC Forum! I love it! The proportions are classic!

Steve Roxberg
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Outstanding, but you will probably have to make a matching set of night stands now.

Doug Cowan
03-26-2005, 1:13 PM
I love Stickley furniture, but cannot afford it... Did you build from plans, if so where did you get them?

thanks. I got the plans from Bob Lang at Craftsmanplans.com. He also has several books with plans and techniques. Bob is a gentleman who gladly answers questions. He has now joined the staff of Popular Woodworking, where his craftsmanship is on display monthly.

Bruce Page
03-26-2005, 1:31 PM
Thanks Bruce, I cut the drawers the same size as the openings then just hand planed off enough so that they fit nice.

By the way, my next project is a cradle like the one you posted a while back. When our oldest daughter asked me to build a cradle for her baby due in August, we went looking for inspiration on the web. When we saw your Cherry and Birdseye Maple cradle we both fell in love with it.
Thanks Doug, the cradle was a fun little project, (except for the deadline aspect of it :eek: ) Holly's dresser on the other hand is a work of art!

Doug Cowan
03-26-2005, 1:33 PM
Excellent work, I'm sure your great, great, great grandchildren will fight over that piece. By the way, what did you cut the dovetails with? Please don't tell me a saw and chisel or I'm going to quit woodworking because I'm not worthy. Thanks for the kind words. My original intent was to hand cut the dovetails, but I am not quite at the point where I am ready to tackle mass production. In the interests of getting the project done my wife persuaded me to break down a buy a Leigh D4. (Yes, I know I am a lucky man. She once called me all exicited from Home Depot to tell me that she had found a gorgous piece of curly maple in with their regular maple and that she just had to buy it ;)). The D4 was probably a good investment, now my son wants a 7 drawer chest on chest, and my wife has decided that a bonnet top highboy would be just the thing for our bedroom!

Thomas Rudolph
03-26-2005, 1:51 PM
What an inspiration! I too love Stickley...Greene & Greene era. Your daughter has very good taste! Nice job on the staining...Thank-you for sharing it with us.

Roger Myers
03-26-2005, 5:22 PM
Doug,
That came out beautiful and your daughter will treasure it forever. I hope you have put your signature and dated it somewhere...she will be showing her children and grandchildren someday!!
It doesn't get any better than making a piiece of furniture for your children, that they have requested!
Roger

Tony Falotico
03-26-2005, 6:57 PM
Excellent Craftsmanship, Beautiful job.

Ken Shoemaker
03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I've studied Stickley - Your peice is to be proud of. I'm sure Mr. Stickely would agree...

Well Done.... Thanks for the look

Steve Inniss
03-27-2005, 5:53 PM
Doug,
That is beautiful work - superb. I agree with the choice of the panelled sides, and the finish looks terrific.

A joy to see. -Steve

John Miliunas
03-27-2005, 6:41 PM
Outstanding work, Doug! As others have said, the panels on the sides really do the trick on it. I could easily see where the D4 was a benefit...Man, you had lots to do! :) Bet you have one happy daughter and that she's probably quite proud of her dad! Good job.:) :cool:

Von Bickley
03-27-2005, 7:34 PM
Doug,
The dresser looks great. The dovetails and quarter sawn white oak really make it. :) :) :)

Brian Knop
03-27-2005, 7:56 PM
Beautiful, your finish really beings out the beauty of the quarter sawn oak. Great job.

Brian

Keith Cope
03-27-2005, 8:01 PM
Nice job, Doug! Looks fantastic!

Good timing, too--I'm on the verge of making the same piece and was hoping to find some photos somewhere.

Keith

Jim Becker
03-27-2005, 9:19 PM
That's a wonderful piece, Doug. I really like the Harvey Ellis pieces in the Stickley collection. Great job!

Dan Forman
03-28-2005, 3:44 AM
Truly a piece for the ages, nice work.

Dan