PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox

Richard Wolf
03-25-2005, 8:46 PM
What is the conection between Shop Fox and Grizzly? Are they made in the same factories? Maybe someone can enlighten me!!

Richard

Doug Shepard
03-25-2005, 10:22 PM
The same person - Shiraz Balolia - owns both outfits. Here's an interesting link.
http://www.inc.com/magazine/19961015/2075.html (http://www.inc.com/magazine/19961015/2075.html)

Mike Holbrook
03-25-2005, 10:30 PM
As I understand it, Shop Fox is the name given to the tools that are sold to other retailers for resale. Opinions seem to vary concerning whether or not there is a significant difference between comparable model numbers in the two product lines.

Walt Pater
03-25-2005, 11:02 PM
How 'bout that. I've been poised to spring for a Shop Fox hollow chisel mortiser for an upcoming project- should I hold off or go for another brand?

Charlie Plesums
03-25-2005, 11:39 PM
How 'bout that. I've been poised to spring for a Shop Fox hollow chisel mortiser for an upcoming project- should I hold off or go for another brand?

The Shop Fox unit has a good reputation. What was said here that made you not want to go with it?

Christopher Stahl
03-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Walt, I have the Shop Fox Mortisor and it's a very good piece of equipment. I would go ahead and purchase it.

chris

scott spencer
03-26-2005, 7:25 AM
How 'bout that. I've been poised to spring for a Shop Fox hollow chisel mortiser for an upcoming project- should I hold off or go for another brand? I'll second the recommendation to go ahead. It's a nice machine with a stout motor.

Doug Shepard
03-26-2005, 7:50 AM

If you're letting Grizzly's past reputation influence your decision - dont. Everything I've heard on WW forums says that Griz has vastly improved the quality of their tools over the last several years. Initially I think there were quite a few quality problems and I think they gained a rep for being cheap & shoddy that they've been working hard to shake. I only posted the info on the common owner as it's a bit interesting and makes some things clear - like why they have the same distribution locations, etc.
Other than the fact that IMHO you'll get better quality mortises with a good router and edge guide, if you're set on getting a HCM evaluate the ShopFox on it's own merits - not on the fact that it's a cousin of Grizzly. Near as I can tell, comparable Griz/ShopFox tools might share some common parts, manufacturing plants, and distribution points, but there are differences. ShopFox aren't just identical machines as Griz with different labeling.

Richard Wolf
03-26-2005, 8:27 AM
Thanks for enlighting me!

Richard

Darren Ford
03-26-2005, 9:23 AM
ShopFox is slightly nicer finish, otherwise I understand its a Grizzly with a 2yr warranty and local dealer.

That ShopFox mortiser seems to be one of the 2 that everyone seems to recommend (the bigger Delta being the other).