PDA

View Full Version : For roughing out bowls, do you use a

Alan Tolchinsky
04-27-2003, 3:49 PM
tenon or dovetail on the bottom for your chuck attachment? I've been doing about 20 of these and would appreciate any info. to increase efficiency. I coated the endgrain inside and out. Any other suggestions to make this process faster?

Stan Smith
04-28-2003, 11:01 AM
My recommendation would be that you read a couple of books on turning bowls. Richard Raffan's is pretty good. Then you will see that there are a number of different methods to accomplish the same end result. Videos are even better if you can rent one. You might want to check www.woodturnerscatalog.com (Craft Supplies) just to see what's available. (no affiliation)

Eric Apple - Central IN
04-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I use a dovetail recess with a scroll chuck most of the time. The tennon method with a scroll chuck is much more popular. It is easier to finish the bottom by trimming off the tennon. The serrated jaws on chucks hold the tennons very well. I don't have the serated jaws, and the recess holds much better.

Speeding up the process - since you didn't say what part is slow I'll comment on the fastest part of it. The hollowing is real fun and only takes about 5 minutes for an 8 inch wide by 3 inch deep bowl. The shavings usually fly off in a long ribbon as thick as french fries. I lot of people use a finger nail grind on all their bowl gouges. I find that a flat grind (like a roughing gouge) at about 45 deg is great for bowl hollowing. I hold the tool at an upward angle on the rest and basically ride the bevel. Twisting motion controls how fat of a shaving and watch the inside wing as you cut. You want to get shavings almost as tall as the side wing, but don't let the cut depth exceed the height of the wing - or ya' get a catch. Great fun - and decide to waste some wood just to practice getting fat shavings. After your very confident with your cuts, start learning to aim the shavings. Its' a bummer to cut for 6 seconds then stop and dump all the shavings from your hand so you can see the tool again.