PDA

View Full Version : Beaded Holly Hollow Form

Baxter Smith
03-24-2012, 7:29 PM
Since I have been adding a couple of beads to some bowls I have turned recently, I thought I would try a few on a hollow form. Some holly I roughed out a year ago had developed some staining so I thought it might make a good piece to practice on. By the time I had gotten the top curve through the shoulder to my liking, I was in trouble on the lower half. If I could have made it a ½ inch shorter I might have been okay,(or maybe not);). Initially I had drilled a hole all the way to the top of the tenon so my options were limited.:(

Pictures are great at finding the little details you missed!;):)

8 3/4” x 4 3/4” x 3/16” Two coats of matte fixative then triple buffed.

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated!

Nate Davey
03-24-2012, 7:31 PM
Spectacular Baxter. The beads take it to the next level. Love the matching finial. Very well done

charlie knighton
03-24-2012, 7:37 PM
ditto........

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-24-2012, 7:56 PM
The beads are very well done but the finial is the real star of this one.
faust

BILL DONAHUE
03-24-2012, 9:32 PM
Very attractive! I too, have been experimenting with beads and they really dress up a piece. They look particularly good on wood with with a dramatic figure or grain since they tend to accentuate it. Terrific form as well.

Jim Burr
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Very stark, far from minimal...again...fantastic!!

Roland Martin
03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Very nice beading, Baxter. I have a hard enough time making "one" decent bead :eek:. BTW, you do one heck of a nice job on all your group pictures :).

Scott Hackler
03-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Very cool Baxter. I am about to call Dave @ D-Way and order me a beading tool (and a CBN wheel!)

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Beautiful Baxter.

Alan Trout
03-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Very, Very, nice Baxter.

Well Done.

Alan

Doug W Swanson
03-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure what you are talking about Baxter. I looks great in the pictures!

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Baxter - MAN! You are getting good at this stuff! Beautiful form, finial and I really like the effect of all the beads! Nice - very nice!

John Keeton
03-25-2012, 7:08 AM
Beautiful, Baxter - just beautiful!! I love the whole look and the finial is perfectly proportioned IMO. Great work!

David DeCristoforo
03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I looked at this right after you posted it. I keep going back to look at it again. It's as sweet as a hollow form can get. I might agree that the bottom is slightly "too small" but the form flows beautifully and "looks right". The continuation of the beading theme into the finial is excellent. If I were going to "pick a nit", it would be that the finial gets a bit straight in the upper section and the transition into the ball is a bit abrupt. But this is a very small nit. I also like the "plainness" of the wood which allows the form itself to take center stage. Nice!

Baxter Smith
03-25-2012, 2:01 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts. They are appreciated!

Very nice beading, Baxter. I have a hard enough time making "one" decent bead :eek:. BTW, you do one heck of a nice job on all your group pictures :).
Roland, try a beading tool to make a bead. It will probably be easier.;) There is something about pictures of grouped turnings I especially like. They don't even have to be of the same style.

Very cool Baxter. I am about to call Dave @ D-Way and order me a beading tool (and a CBN wheel!)
Scott, I considered a beading tool when I ordered a couple of the CBN wheels. I have frequently thought about placing that order, but tried an old sorby parting tool that had been reground by a previous owner to a less lethal profile. Seems to do an ok job for now in making small beads. Amazing what may work if you don't know any better.;):)

I'm not sure what you are talking about Baxter. I looks great in the pictures!
One of the lower beads is smaller and another has a little groove on the side of it. Never noticed it apparently until looking at the pictures! Resizing helps make those flaws a bit smaller!:D

..... I might agree that the bottom is slightly "too small" but the form flows beautifully and "looks right". If I were going to "pick a nit", it would be that the finial gets a bit straight in the upper section and the transition into the ball is a bit abrupt.
Thanks for taking the time for your dissection DD! I enjoy the contemplation! My preference would have been to have more bulk in the lower part of the form and a more gradual curve into the foot. As it was, I didn't even have enough left to tuck under and end up with anything other than a point. I have done some larger forms that have a foot of similar size, its just that the lines flowing into them are more gradual. It was hard enough turning beads on the lower portion of this shape. Perhaps, if I had had enough wood for my desired shape, I might not have been able to do the beads at all.
Your point about the ball on top is well taken. I considered a small flare underneath it, then decided this was just about beads so....;) Next time!:)

Lionel Mercier
03-25-2012, 2:56 PM
Love the shape,
very well balanced !
congrats

Ken Glass
03-25-2012, 3:46 PM
Shape is great, beading is too. I like the natural look you left it in also. Well done, Baxter. A superb form in all respects.

Russell Neyman
03-26-2012, 1:50 AM
I'm going to see Dave next week, and want to ask him about his beading tools. They're used upside down, like a skew. I'm told they are remarkably effective tools!

joel nucifore
03-26-2012, 7:40 AM
AWSOME love the shape and the beads are spot on... GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steven carter
03-26-2012, 9:26 AM
I really like this one Baxter! Love the beads and the finial is just right.

Baxter Smith
03-27-2012, 9:24 AM
Thanks for all your comments of support! Positive feedback from someone other than my wife is appreciated! Not that I always get that either.;):)

jwjerry w kowalski
03-27-2012, 9:37 AM
Baxter, that's really nice, excellent prorotions and the beading makes it an eye grabber, and I think you do great finials. I always enjoy looking at your work.