PDA

View Full Version : Nantucket turnings

Jim Silva
03-24-2012, 5:52 PM
I'm a Nantucket basketmaker for a living (some would say basket case... tomayto, tomahto lol) and 7 or 8 years ago started combining weaving with woodturning. Here are a few pieces from the last couple of years.

Nantucket baskets are woven on moulds and typically feature hardwood bases, rims, handles, etc. These Nantucket turnings are my original fusion of the two mediums of weaving and woodturning. They're woven right onto the bowl itself and I've got several different series from bowls to platters and vases/vessels.

First up is an 11" Nantucket turning from my "Unity" series. This bowl is of spalted maple and cane. The second image is the bottom of the bowl showing the weaving in more detail. I've never counted but I believe there are roughly 100 ribs/staves in this bowl and the weaver is 1.5mm wide.

Third photos shows an 8" Nantucket turning of the "Island" series of bowls and is of local black cherry and cane. The pattern (it's tough to see here) are several spirals that wind their way around the bowl, stop, and start again. Although Nantucket baskets are notable for having the ribs very close to each other and almost watertight they're woven so closely, I let the ribs spread open as I neared the rims to flow better with the form and to give it a "clockwork" kind of effect where you could see the inside of the weaving as it were.

I'm currently working up some new stuff to get out before the summer season opens. Hope you like.

Jim

Baxter Smith
03-24-2012, 8:04 PM
Jim, I like! That is a neat combination of talents, textures and colors!

Roger Chandler
03-24-2012, 9:23 PM
Fine artistry Jim!

BILL DONAHUE
03-24-2012, 9:38 PM
Beautiful work. Had to look up your website after seeing these photos and it's 1st class too.

Allan Ferguson
03-24-2012, 9:50 PM
Very artistic work. They should be a hot item.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Great looking piece. Really nice website.

Doug W Swanson
03-24-2012, 11:41 PM
What a great combination of arts. I would have never thought to combine the two. Beautiful work!

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
This is a first for me! Beautiful work Jim! Love the combination of wood and cane... and the patterns you created are wonderful! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Philip Duffy
03-25-2012, 4:55 AM
Very beautiful work! Love it. Phil

John Keeton
03-25-2012, 7:11 AM
Now, that is a bunch of work!! I really like this look. What finish did you use, and is the basketry finished as well? Or, do you finish the turned portions before weaving?

james bell
03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I bought my Delta 46-400 late last year as my wife got into Nantucket basket making and wanted to do the nesting bowls. As the molds cost over $400, I bravely said I could make them. Took about five classes from Woodcraft and made six of the seven molds - the last one is a 12" diameter and my lathe max is 12", so no way to do it. I also have made the bottom rims and working now on the handles - using the steamer system from Rockler.

Jim, these are beautiful - great job.

John Beaver
03-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Jim, I really like to combination of textures. Wonderful combination of arts.

Jim Silva
03-25-2012, 7:35 PM
Now, that is a bunch of work!! I really like this look. What finish did you use, and is the basketry finished as well? Or, do you finish the turned portions before weaving?

Thanks for the kind word all.
John, the finish is rather simple. It's 5 coats of Formby's Tung Oil (LOL) finish, basically a wiping varnish if I'm not mistaken and a beall buff. Woven bit is finished with one coat of spar urethane.

Jim

Jim Underwood
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I've been admiring this since you posted. Very nice combination of crafts, and well executed. I'd love to see where you take this. There are so many possibilities..

Kathy Marshall
03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Beautiful piece Jim! Love the color and contrast.