PDA

View Full Version : Delta Sawbuck

Jerry Bruette
03-24-2012, 4:57 PM
Anybody here have any experience with a Delta Sawbuck? Good? Bad? Better than a RAS? Local has one for sale and I'm considering it. I'll be building a 24x48 building in May and think it would be handy for cutting the siding and the vented soffit material.

Jerry

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 7:38 PM
Anybody here have any experience with a Delta Sawbuck? Good? Bad? Better than a RAS? Local has one for sale and I'm considering it. I'll be building a 24x48 building in May and think it would be handy for cutting the siding and the vented soffit material.

Jerry

They are great for siding and exterior trim.

jon boboli
03-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi long time reader, think this is my first post.

I had and sold a sawbuck about ten years ago. They are great if you do siding every day. I just didn't use it enough once I got a sliding cms. I wouldn't consider one for just one house.

Bob Lloyd
03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I have not seen one being used in a while, kind of dissapeared when the SCMS came along. When I did see them, they just seemed to be being used for siding and exterior trim, both wood and vinyl. Back then, I also saw people using a RAS. If you have a miter saw, I would not buy it for one job unless you can get it for a price that makes sense to you and you think that you will get more use out of it down the road. Alternatively, you could buy it, use it for the one job and than sell it.

Aaron Berk
03-25-2012, 7:52 PM
I've never used one, but my opinion would be that the sawbuck works better for siding, than a RAS would.

The trigger actuated universal motor being the difference.

I consider RAS's more of a "production" high use tool, due to the fact I can turn mine on and it's just sitting there waiting to eat another board.

fred klotz
03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
I have two. And two RAS. Very little overlap in my use of the two different machines. The sawbucks are portable, and would probably come in very handy building your building. I bought one new, the other used for less than a third of the new price. They seem to be obsolete nowadays, but I'll keep mine cause I use them. Then again, RAS are considered obsolete, but I use mine almost every time I'm in the shop, and would be looking for another if I lost mine.