PDA

View Full Version : Steam box construction question

Joe McMahon
03-24-2012, 4:51 PM
I need to bend some wood for ladder back chairs so I bought an Earlex steamer today. My question regards the box.

Instead of making a plywood or hardwood box, could I use a 4" piece of PVC instead, seal one end and have a removable cap on the other end, drill a few vent holes and have instant steam box?

Greg Wease
03-24-2012, 5:18 PM
We use PVC pipe for steaming in chairmaking classes at Palomar College--just a bit larger in diameter. Lay something in the bottom (like a wood lattice) to keep your pieces up off the bottom. I wouldn't try ABS drain pipe but PVC should be fine.

Bruce Haugen
03-24-2012, 5:32 PM
PVC works fine, but it can sag from the heat. So, put it on a board or something to prevent that.

BTW, Lee Valley has a really nice downloadable booklet on steam bending. It's in the online catalog.

Tony Joyce
03-24-2012, 5:34 PM
I have one made out of 4" PVC(schedule 40). Don't use foam filled PVC pipe, I didn't even know there was such an animal till I read the marking on the pipe. It works well, what little I've used it so far. I glued a cap on one end and put a rubber coupler on the other and used a slip fit wood plug in it. I used a metal(alu) wire grill in the bottom about an 1" up as a rack.

Mark Dorman
03-24-2012, 5:53 PM
Some info here from highland. They use dowels in there PVC for a shelf.http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/steambox.pdf