PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on antique saw

Joe Bailey
03-24-2012, 4:06 PM
Much like a cat that brings dead mice to your doorstep, I have a neighbor who keeps dropping off tools, as she uncovers them during her ongoing basement clean-out.Here is today's delivery.

I checked Shaffer's book on hand saws of N.A., and a few other sources, but could not find anything. My guess is that it may be a Middletown, NY product - home of Madden, Wheeler, Clemson, Bakewell and others in various combinations. I base this mainly on the presence of the escutcheon plate.Don't know if you can make out the etch.In an arc, it says: "The Gem", in the next horizontal line, it reads "REFINED", and in a banner across the lower arc of the etch, it reads "Warranted Cast Steel"

Rob Paul
03-25-2012, 8:32 AM
Joe,
Might be a saw from the hardware merchants Sargent & Co.

Shaffer's "Hand-Saw Makers of North America" lists "The Gem" as one of Sargent's handsaw brands.

Sargent & Co had their saws made by a variety of different manufacturers; Disston, Simonds, Atkins, Jennings. I had a quick look in "The Handsaw Catalog Collection" which includes Atkins 1919, Disston 1918, and Simonds 1910 catalogs, but didn't see anything to exactly match your saw (Disston No 085 and Simonds No 47 are somewhat similar). [I don't have a Jennings catalog]

Joe Bailey
03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rob - I completely missed that listing!