PDA

View Full Version : Delta's new 14" Steel Frame Bandsaw.........

Paul McGaha
03-24-2012, 2:14 PM
I got a catalog in the mail today from Woodworkers Supply. Seems Delta has a new 14" Steel Frame Bandsaw. $629.
1 HP. Model #28-400.

Seems to be very new. It's not listed on the Tools-Plus Site.

PHM

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 2:34 PM
http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/band-saws/item/28-400?category_id=47

Reminds me of the PM 44 which is not a compliment.

Phil Thien
03-24-2012, 2:36 PM
I'm surprised the resaw is limited to 6". The cast iron saws often have a 6" resaw, but you can add a riser. No adding a riser to this unit.

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 3:01 PM
They also have a bigger one coming. http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/band-saws/item/28-401?category_id=47

This one has 12" of resaw and hits the hobby woodworker market a little better.

This move makes a lot of since given the shift in ownership. My guess is cast 14" saws will go the way of the dinosaur in a short time. The process of cutting and bending steel vs casting iron lends itself better to modern factories. There isn't a lot of weight advantage (shipping from Asia) on 14" saws but I would imagine it is easier to build all the saws in the same manner.

Myk Rian
03-24-2012, 3:49 PM
They look like the HF saws, of which Grizzly is an exact match for.

I'll keep my 1966 Delta 14" M/W saw.

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 3:52 PM

Are you mixing it up with the 17" HF (discontinued) and Grizzly 513 which are indeed seemingly clones? AFAIK HF has never sold a 14" steel frames saw and Grizzly's 14" steel saw is a lot different from this one.

Bruce Page
03-24-2012, 5:20 PM
I'm not sure I like the sound of "rubber-coated upper and lower" wheels, whatever that means. 1hp is a little meek by today's standards.

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 6:49 PM
I'm not sure I like the sound of "rubber-coated upper and lower" wheels, whatever that means. 1hp is a little meek by today's standards.

If it isn't indeed just a "translation isssue" then it would be of concern. 1hp is somewhat weak BUT it is limited to 6" of resaw and the Grizzly cast 14" 1hp saw is over $600 shipped so it is about right for its price point.

Curt Harms
03-25-2012, 9:38 AM
They also have a bigger one coming. http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/band-saws/item/28-401?category_id=47

This move makes a lot of since given the shift in ownership. My guess is cast 14" saws will go the way of the dinosaur in a short time. The process of cutting and bending steel vs casting iron lends itself better to modern factories. There isn't a lot of weight advantage (shipping from Asia) on 14" saws but I would imagine it is easier to build all the saws in the same manner.

That one looks like it's going after the Rikon 10-325's audience. In fact i wonder if it's using the 10-325's frame with a different blade tensioning mechanism. I do like the location of the blade tensioning wheel better but other than that meh.

Van Huskey
03-25-2012, 11:21 AM
The Rikon would probably be its closest competitor. It will likely be priced higher (maybe too much) but it does have some things that interest me in comparison to the Rikon. I like the switch, the faster blade speed, the poly V belt drive, the toolless guide system (which could be a big improvement over the finiky Rikon), the tension knob where it should be and I am interested in seeing the "dual rod upper wheel assembly". The Rikon does have an inch more resaw, a larger table and a light. My gut tells me I will like the Delta better BUT it also tells me that price may make the Rikon more appealing (since it goes on sale regularly) and the Delta price may push it into the realm of the Grizzly 513 series...

Justin DiValentino
03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

any idea what the price point will be on something like this?

Curt Harms
03-26-2012, 9:18 AM
The Rikon would probably be its closest competitor. It will likely be priced higher (maybe too much) but it does have some things that interest me in comparison to the Rikon. I like the switch,

You can just slap the switch on the Delta vs. having to push a button on the Rikon but meh

the faster blade speed,

The speed difference isn't much but if both motors are identical, 1.5 h.p. isn't a lot to resaw 10"+. Increase the blade speed as well and I wonder if there'll be power issues.

the poly V belt drive,

Is this different from the belt on the Rikon? It's a multi groove affair that looks wimpy but mine has been okay so far.

the toolless guide system (which could be a big improvement over the finiky Rikon),

True. The lower guides are a real PITA. An extended wrench helps some.

the tension knob where it should be

Absolutely

and I am interested in seeing the "dual rod upper wheel assembly". The Rikon does have an inch more resaw, a larger table and a light. My gut tells me I will like the Delta better BUT it also tells me that price may make the Rikon more appealing (since it goes on sale regularly) and the Delta price may push it into the realm of the Grizzly 513 series...

The light on my saw was a none-too-funny joke. It wouldn't stay tight and mounts on the wrong side of the spine. I took mine off, mounted it to a piece of angle iron and used a couple hard drive magnets to hold the angle iron to the saw. Much better.

David Hostetler
03-26-2012, 5:37 PM

Hey now, I have the HF 14" saw, no stamped steel frame there. Just cast iron!

Bruce Page
03-26-2012, 6:00 PM
any idea what the price point will be on something like this?

I just received a catalog from Woodworker’s Supply that has the smaller 28-400 listed at $629.99 for the basic saw. Nothing on the 28-401.

Van Huskey
03-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey now, I have the HF 14" saw, no stamped steel frame there. Just cast iron!

For a while HF had a blue and white (I think that was the colors) clone of the Grizzly 513. They only carried it for a short time. The 14" Delta cast clone is the largest vertical BS they carry now.

Kevin Schreiber
04-10-2012, 7:37 PM
Any news on the 28-401? I was just going to place my order for a Powermatic 14" but i can't pull the trigger until I know if the new Delta is any good. Delta website says available in April but nothing yet.

Kevin W Johnson
05-05-2012, 7:54 PM
Any news on the 28-401? I was just going to place my order for a Powermatic 14" but i can't pull the trigger until I know if the new Delta is any good. Delta website says available in April but nothing yet.

I found one and only one website that I've never heard of offering it for sale for June delivery. It shows a selling price of $999, on a MSRP of $1799.

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/stationary-power-tools/delta-28-401-14-in-1-1-2-hp-deluxe-steel-frame-band-saw.html