PDA

View Full Version : Lizard and Tortoise chase?

Norm Zax
03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Had some spare time on my hands so tried out a plate using soft pine. Never again. Sharp tools and steady sanding produce a good result but then a touch of a fingernail or a moment of indecision getting out of the car and the mark is there. The stand is walnut. Its top was a slightly elongated ball, then a tenon created in its middle and then cut in two, to be reglued on both sides of the plate. The decoration is somewhat simplistic but the family liked it. C&C?

John Keeton
03-24-2012, 1:21 PM
Norm, that is really unique!! And, I like it! Great contrast in color and texture, and the wide, thin rim on the pine bowl really is enhanced with the bead.

Excellent piece!

Jim Underwood
03-24-2012, 2:23 PM
I keep wondering if those fingernail marks I leave on freshly and perfectly sanded soft wood are "patina" or "disasters"....

Nice work on this.

Roger Chandler
03-24-2012, 3:06 PM
Very whimsical! Nice turning and a very unique pedestal..............outside the box, but has that whimsical attractiveness to it.........pretty nice Norm!

Allan Ferguson
03-24-2012, 6:11 PM
A true attention getter.. Should create interest and conversation wherever it is.

Josh Bowman
03-24-2012, 6:31 PM
Norm, that's a neat technique. Nice shape. Now you can load it with chestnuts or better yet chocolate balls and see how many folks try to get the one in the middle.

Mark Qualizza
03-24-2012, 6:42 PM
Wow! I am new to turning, seeing pieces like this is very inspiring.

charlie knighton
03-24-2012, 7:46 PM
unusual, very nice

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Norm - glad to see you getting in some turning time! Love the imagination in this piece! Great colors!

Kathy Marshall
03-25-2012, 2:24 AM
Very nice Norm! A unique and imaginative form and great job working with the soft pine and I like the wide, thin rim.