PDA

View Full Version : Handsaws

steven c newman
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
While looking over the "inventory" I have at the moment, a few things need a few answers. While the D8 Skew back with a thumbhole handle speaks for itself, others don't..

A POWRKRAFT medallioned crosscut saw. Might be a Disston made one.

A HK Porter Townsman crosscut saw With a Disston USA medallion

A HK Porter Rancher ( Rip, maybe) with a Disston medallion

An 8 point crosscut saw, with a Warrented Superior Nickel plated medallion. This saw HAD a plywood handle, now has a solid wood one.

Been cleaning these saws up, intending to put them back to work. Just wanting a little more info on them. The "Disstonian Institute doesn't have much on any of the above saws. Just wondering.......:confused:

Jim Koepke
03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
I believe Powerkraft was either the brand used by Wards.

HK Proter bought Disston in the 1950s or there abouts.

The best way to learn about any saw is to clean it up, take care of the teeth and see how it cuts.

I have some saws that will cut well, but they teeth will not stay sharp as long as other saws with better steel.

jtk

Andrae Covington
03-24-2012, 1:34 PM
I believe Powerkraft was either the brand used by Wards.

HK Proter bought Disston in the 1950s or there abouts.

The best way to learn about any saw is to clean it up, take care of the teeth and see how it cuts.

I have some saws that will cut well, but they teeth will not stay sharp as long as other saws with better steel.

jtk

Yep, "Powr-Kraft" was a Montgomery Ward brand name first trademarked in 1932. It was used for a wide array of hand and power tools made by various manufacturers. If it looks like a Disston, it probably is.

Disston was sold to HK Porter in 1955. The Disston division was later spun off to Sandvik in 1978, then sold off again in 1984 to RAF Industries.

Bill Houghton
03-24-2012, 1:38 PM
I concur with Jim. Powrkraft was the Montgomery Wards house brand. I don't know who made their saws; Disston made lots of house-brand saws, but others did too.

The Townsman and Rancher saws were probably late production (late 50s, 60s, 70s, don't know). I've had one or two, and they tend to have thick sawplates and rather blocky handles. The model names kind of speak to their intended use: rough work.

"Warranted Superior" medallions don't tell you much: this was a standard medallion put on an endless number of saws from many different makers. I've wondered for years whatever happened to all the "Warranted Not So Good" saws out there.

I don't know what the quality of any of these saws is like, but, as Jim says, clean them up and see how they cut. You'll either be pleasantly surprised, or you'll have learned something; or both.

steven c newman
03-24-2012, 2:50 PM
So far, the D8 cuts like a charm. The refurbished 8 point Warrented Superior that I rough sharpened ( three strokes, at right angles across the teeth) also cuts wood like warm butter. I still have to sharpen the rest of the group, and then find some sawnuts for an orphan handle. The blade for that handle has a big curve to it, and match the hole pattern. Handle has whaet carvings, one goes UP the grip area, the other goes DOWN in front of the grip area. Couple of the "grains' go through one of the sawnut holes. A little eye candy227942227943227944First one has a Sycamore handle, and is the 8 point WS saw. The next two are an Orphan saw. No markings at all, and a funny shaped blade to boot. Maybe i'll find some sawnuts, and a WS medallion and clean it up. Wheat carving looks a little strange.227945and the "boring" Rancher. Just cheap eye candy....

Steve Branam
03-24-2012, 7:25 PM
Disston was sold to HK Porter in 1955. The Disston division was later spun off to Sandvik in 1978, then sold off again in 1984 to RAF Industries.

Ouch! That just sounds painful.

steven c newman
03-25-2012, 12:32 PM
As for HK Porter, from 1974 to 1996, I WORKED at the Bellefountaine, Ohio plant, making rubber hose. Mainly back in the Mixing dept, as a Compounder. The two HKPs might get a refinish, with a trip to the router table included, since there doesn't seem much "collector" worth to them. Cleaned up, handle given a smoother shape. Orphan saw is still a Question mark. Never seen a saw blade cut like THAT. Wheat carving is also strange. Didn't have a Medallion, either. Might just put a WS one in the hole, and call it "good". The handle will be cleaned up, and refinished. Might be some good wood under the mess. We'll see how this goes.

Andrae Covington
03-25-2012, 2:12 PM
...This saw HAD a plywood handle...

I was in an architectural salvage / antique store yesterday and they had just a few handsaws. One Simonds 6-point rip with a very clean full etch on the blade (they wanted $50, more than I would pay), then most of the rest were Sandvik saws that had plywood handles with a Nordic decorative pattern. The handles were blocky and uncomfortable, and the plywood was delaminating in places. The steel looked good, though.

steven c newman
03-26-2012, 3:54 PM
Orphan saw update: Stripped old finish, ran a round-over bit around the edges. Doing the sanding down thing now. Still in the dark about it's maker, though. Anyone ever see a saw blade cut like it????? Four sawnuts, PLUS a spot for the medallion. Basic outline of the Orphan handle matches the one that had a plywood handle. Hole patterns are different, though. Still, at about $2 to $2.50 each, not too bad.

Andrae Covington
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Orphan saw update: Stripped old finish, ran a round-over bit around the edges. Doing the sanding down thing now. Still in the dark about it's maker, though. Anyone ever see a saw blade cut like it????? Four sawnuts, PLUS a spot for the medallion. Basic outline of the Orphan handle matches the one that had a plywood handle. Hole patterns are different, though. Still, at about $2 to $2.50 each, not too bad.

This looks like the handle of a later-model Disston D-23 (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html). That saw (and the related D-20, D-21, D-22) went through a few handle design changes over the decades, but the last couple color photos on that page look similar to me.

Rob Harris
03-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I have a saw very similar to that, including the semicircular blade shape above the heel, in my refurbish pile. The etch is mostly gone, but I can make out Disston D-2something. My bet is Andrae is correct.

steven c newman
04-02-2012, 2:01 PM
Ok, I'll set this up as a D-23. Nickel plated screws and medallion. As for a "plywoodie' handle I have on hand, I THINK I have found a home for it228506What do you think? Shine up that blade, add some nickel plated bolts, and maybe a medallion to match? Just an old "Toolbox Saw". At least this handle will fit my hands better.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2012, 2:07 PM
How long is that saw?
Is the image compressed over the length?

Those teeth do not look proper. You might have a newer saw with impulse hardened teeth. I do not know enough about saws to know what you actually have there.

jtk

steven c newman
04-02-2012, 2:35 PM
When those Tool box Saws first came out, I bought one for my tool bucket. They are SHORT, snaggle toothed fast cuttin' SOBs. The handles were junk, hard on the hands. These teeth on this saw weren't the "black" impulse hardened ones. Just "peg' toothed. That gray "paint' was supoosed to keep it from rusting. Worked fine, until you use it for a while, and the paint wore off. Might be worth the effort. Might even re-sharpen (rip?) those snaggle teeth.

steven c newman
04-04-2012, 4:22 PM
The Orphan Saw, a D23, update. Got those rusty teeth sharpened back up. Handle is ready for a "weather proof finish". Green scratchy-pads are starting to show an "etch" of sorts, A whole bunch of circle -like squiggles. Teeth count looks like either an 11, or a 12. No thooth count stamp on blade, though. Going "Rust Hunting" friday, trying to find enough old saws for parts. At about $2 each for those rusty saws, and an eight block walk, still cheaper than fleebay......

steven c newman
04-05-2012, 2:32 PM
A look at this "Orphan Saw" after the finish is on. I used a drywall screw to hold things in place while things dried.228740Starting to look like a saw again. We are getting there......