PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda winged bowl

Kathy Marshall
03-24-2012, 4:44 AM
Over the last few days I've been thinking about turning a winged bowl. When I got home after work, I was looking for through my pile of blanks and saw this piece of jacaranda crotch and thought tonight would be a good time to turn a winged bowl.
The wood was fairly dry, and tearout was a problem almost like it was punky. Luckily, the wood sands easily and I was able to clean up the tearout with my 80 grit gouge.
I used some gold rub-n-buff on the inside of the bowl. I've been wanting to try it on something, but haven't been able to make myself put it on any of my other bowls but tonight I took the plunge. I like how it turned out, but I think it would look better on darker wood.
It's about 10" at it's widest and about 2 1/2" tall. It's finished with a light coat of danish oil and will get some WOP later.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
03-24-2012, 6:01 AM
Kathy, I have yet to do one of these. Occasionally, I give it thought, but just don't ever get there. My stash has several crotch pieces of various species, so I have no excuse.

I like how this one turned out - including the rub-n-buff application. My first thought was that you covered the feather, but from the underside, it appears the feather disappeared pretty quickly when you hollowed the bowl portion.

Nice work!

Jenny Trice
03-24-2012, 8:06 AM
Cool! Kathy, you do such beautiful things.

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2012, 8:55 AM
Nice bowl Kathy. Having five edges gives it a much different look. I have have been making my own "Rough n Buff" using PearlEx mixed in paste wax. Much cheaper and all kinds of pearl and dichromic colors. Thanks for sharing.

Doug W Swanson
03-24-2012, 9:04 AM
The bowl has a different look to it. I'm not sure about the gold but you sure did a nice job on it!

Roland Martin
03-24-2012, 9:23 AM
I like this one Kathy, kind of a rustic elegance feel to it. The bowl rim and wing transition is about as clean as it gets, very crisp line. A darker wood may have popped the rub-n-buff a bit more but this works very well the way it is, nicely done. Does the rub-n-buff take a finish topcoat, or is it left as is?

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Nice variation on a winged bowl! The rub-n-buff looks pretty good.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Really nice Kathy. The rub-n-buff turned out nicely.

Steve Busey
03-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I think you struck gold with this design, Kathy! :rolleyes: Will be interested to see how the top finish works on that rub-n-buff - isn't it a waxy base?

Baxter Smith
03-24-2012, 8:10 PM
Nice work Kathy. The contrast with the color is kind of neat. I couldn't wait to try a crotch winged bowl when I first started turning. Did a couple then haven't tried again.

robert baccus
03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Very good workmanship and very original. like to see people outta the box. i think the gold looks better than on a dark wood--less contrast gives it more elegance. -------------------------------the old forester

Kathy Marshall
03-25-2012, 1:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Kathy, I have yet to do one of these. Occasionally, I give it thought, but just don't ever get there. My stash has several crotch pieces of various species, so I have no excuse.

I like how this one turned out - including the rub-n-buff application. My first thought was that you covered the feather, but from the underside, it appears the feather disappeared pretty quickly when you hollowed the bowl portion.

Nice work!
Thanks John! You're right, the feather was pretty shallow and there really wasn't any on the inside of the bowl.

I like this one Kathy, kind of a rustic elegance feel to it. The bowl rim and wing transition is about as clean as it gets, very crisp line. A darker wood may have popped the rub-n-buff a bit more but this works very well the way it is, nicely done. Does the rub-n-buff take a finish topcoat, or is it left as is?
Thanks Roland! I've only used the rub-n-buff once before on an ornament finial, if I remember correctly I tried to top coat it with either WOP or brush on lacquer and pretty much just melted off. If I do anything with this bowl on the inside, I'll either give it a light coat of spray on sanding sealer, or just some ren wax and then WOP for the rest of the piece.

I think you struck gold with this design, Kathy! :rolleyes: Will be interested to see how the top finish works on that rub-n-buff - isn't it a waxy base?
Thanks Steve! I'm not sure if it's a waxy base or not, see my reply to Roland.