PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Wolverine Jig to my Delta 6" VS grinder

Brian Kent
03-24-2012, 12:34 AM
The Wolverine Jig is supposed to be centered under the grinding wheel. This does not work with my Delta 6" Grinder. Had anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

John Altberg
03-24-2012, 1:22 AM
Grind that part of the base back and drill another hole for mounting the grinder. A bit tedious, but it works! And if you are REALLY anal, like me, get some spray paint to paint the ground back area!

John Keeton
03-24-2012, 6:14 AM
Brian, you aren't going to like this response, but in the long run you will be happier with a Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. The Wolverine will fit, and you will have the added benefit of the better grind of the 8". Eventually, you will end up with a CBN wheel, and they are not available in 6".

Dennis Ford
03-24-2012, 7:12 AM
I prefer to grind with a platform instead of a jig but seem to remember that the support arm is supposed to be some number of inches below centerline of the wheel. If you raised the grinder up about an inch or two; would the support arm fit underneath without being too low?

Brian Kent
03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I prefer to grind with a platform instead of a jig but seem to remember that the support arm is supposed to be some number of inches below centerline of the wheel. If you raised the grinder up about an inch or two; would the support arm fit underneath without being too low?

It almost fits when I raise it 1". If it is legitimate to drill new holes without affecting the structure, then I can get the rest of the way there by grinding off the bottom corner of the wing.

And John, I hear you. Since 8" Deltas are not being sold anywhere right now, I want to wait a month or two on that until I hear from users of their new product. I could also buy that Sheppach Grinder from McFeely's, which looks a lot like the current Delta, for $119. Then I could add a couple of CBN wheels for $370 :eek:.

allen thunem
03-24-2012, 11:55 AM
try putting a spacer block under the grinder only

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
You need a spacer under the grinder as shown in the drawing.

John Altberg
03-24-2012, 12:11 PM
It almost fits when I raise it 1". If it is legitimate to drill new holes without affecting the structure, then I can get the rest of the way there by grinding off the bottom corner of the wing.

Brian,

That is what I did and described in my earlier response. It works just fine and there is absolutely no problem sharpening with the 6" wheels. If you have the same model that I do, you have variable speed at your disposal, too! As far as 8" grinder and CBN wheels, only the depths of your pockets will determine how far you go!

Brian Kent
03-24-2012, 1:52 PM
…As far as 8" grinder and CBN wheels, only the depths of your pockets will determine how far you go!

Since I just bought the lathe and starter tools, money is no object, literally. It doesn't exist in any of my pockets. :D

Brian Kent
03-24-2012, 4:45 PM
Between the spacer under the grinder and a little bit of grinding of the grinder, it fits perfectly now. First thing I did was sharpen my spindle gouge and found out what a sharp tool is like. Wow.

But it may not have actually happened since I upgraded the software on my phone and it isn't taking pictures.Maybe I can just grind a little off the bottom of the iPhone and the camera will work again.

Jim Silva
03-24-2012, 5:12 PM
Hi Brian, glad to hear you got it fit properly. Great jig, you won't regret getting it.
I have an 8" grinder at my shop but only a 6" at home so my solution was, (since the grinder was mounted on a stand to begin with) to mount the grinder on a 1" thick piece of plywood and mount the clamp block UNDER the plywood. Gave me the 1" rise I needed and kept the clamp block centered under the wheel.

I'm sure there are several different workable solutions, kinda wish Oneway would publish some to keep the head scratching to a minimum. LOL

Jim

Brian Kent
03-24-2012, 5:18 PM
For a total beginner like myself, I also was not sure how accurate the measurement had to be, where the spindle was 6-1/4 to 6-1/2" above the base. So I went for exact "compliance".