PDA

View Full Version : Can you help to decide on KV drawer slides?

Marcus Isaacson
03-23-2012, 9:37 PM
If there was a local place to check out the various Knape and Vogt drawer slides, that would be ideal. However there is nothing local to me. I am remodeling my kitchen and am now planning on purchasing the drawer slides. Needing about 20 to do the job and having to be cost conscious, I plan on ordering 14 of the KV economy (made in China) 100lb side mount slides at $6.25 each for the infrequently used drawers. This decision is based primarily on feedback about these cheaper slides. My question is what to purchase for the other frequently used slides. I would like to pick up one of the three following models, all Knape and Vogt and I believe made in the US.
The 8400 - the basic ball bearing slide. ($13.64)
The 8417 - Self closing, for about $3 per slide more. ($16.68)
The new model 8450FM - soft close for about $3 more than the 8417. ($19.71)

I like the idea of having the drawer pull itself shut, but is it worth the extra $3 - $6 per set for the soft close feature? Does the self close only slide (8417) bang itself shut? I haven't been able to dig up much information about the 8450FM, or the 8417 for that matter really.

Anybody have experience with these particular slides, or better side mount ones for the price?
Information about soft close side mount sides have been mixed to if they are the best thing since sliced bread, gimmicky, or prone to failure or failing to close or having to wrench them open.
Ideally I want to just order once and be done with it. Plan on getting it all from woodworkers hardware if possible.

Thanks for any help,
Marcus

Tony Joyce
03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Does the self close only slide (8417) bang itself shut?

Short answer, No. They barely pull the drawer in.

Of the three, I'd pick the 8400. I have used the 8417 for a client, but was not impressed or convinced of the usefulness of the self-closing feature. If I wanted the self-closing feature I would use the KV-Muv slide. The Muv is an under mount slide. A little more money, but they work really well. Within about two inch they pull in nicely and firmly, no bang.

Jamie Buxton
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
For decades, the KV8400 and the Accuride 3832 were the standard drawer slide. No self close, no soft close, just a good solid slide. They do the job just fine. You, the drawer operator, just close the drawer. How difficult is that?

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2012, 7:21 AM
I have the 8417's in my own kitchen with beaded raised panel drawer fronts and I like them. They make sure the fronts are in the proper position yet are uncomplicated and do not break. Once you get within an inch or so a simple spring/ramp mechanism pulls them in tight. I frequently just bump the drawers with my hip when working in the kitchen, and they close just fine. I have been here 8 years and no failures. I'm happy.

In my own opinion the 8450's are too complicated. I have had to replace a couple on jobs I have done, and I hate callbacks.

I have 8400's in my shop benches that are overloaded with clamps, etc. and other than having to blow out the sawdust once a year thay are all still working fine.

Larry

Todd Burch
03-24-2012, 7:29 AM
+1 on the 8400 series. There's a slight detent when closing. However, after 10 years of use on my trash pullout in the kitchen, being operated multiple times a day, the detent on that particular slide doesn't work any more, but the slide still stays closed just fine.

Marcus Isaacson
03-24-2012, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the help. Ended up going with the muv slides. Haven't ever installed undermount but it doesn't look too difficult.

Todd Burch
03-24-2012, 7:21 PM
Only thing with undermount (and it's not a bad thing) is you make the drawer around the hardware.

Rob Sack
03-24-2012, 8:21 PM
If you decide on the 8400 series, be sure to get the 8405 version. It's the same slide with 1" overtravel and costs about the same as the standard 8400.