PDA

View Full Version : spiral cutter heads

ray clargo
03-23-2012, 3:39 PM
Is there anyone who has regretted going to a spiral cutter head, if so why. Has any one having any problems with the screws holding the cutters in place, have any screws or cutters broke ,how would you remove a broken screw? Thanks in advance , ray

Philip Loria
03-23-2012, 3:44 PM
I think it would be impossible to regret a spiral cutterhead. I replaced my 20" grizzly planer with a jet spiral cutter head and OMG. There is a huge reduction in noise and, if the last pass is just a small amount, the wood looks like it was sanded with 120 grit paper. I was so pleased I changed the cutterhead on my 8" jointer.
Philip

Cary Falk
03-23-2012, 4:11 PM
I have one in my 8" jointer and my 15" planer and love both of them. I had to remove all of the cutters off the 8" and clean them and the head because I wasn't getting a good cut. A couple of them broke when I took them off. I guess they wer overtorqued when they were put on. I have not had any break while in operation.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2012, 5:33 PM
Hi Ray, having used machines with helical carbide cutters I'm glad I own a euro machine with cartridge knives. For my home shop the helical carbide aren't cost effective, and I'm not having any surface finish issues...........Rod.

glenn bradley
03-23-2012, 5:46 PM
Is there anyone who has regretted going to a spiral cutter head, if so why.
- Nope

Has any one having any problems with the screws holding the cutters in place, have any screws or cutters broke ,how would you remove a broken screw?
- Never happened to me yet; you would have to work at it to snap one but, some folks go straight for the impact and bypass the hand tools :rolleyes:.

Thanks in advance , ray
Your welcome :)