PDA

View Full Version : Blade Speed- Old Craftsman Table Saw

Rob Sack
03-23-2012, 2:43 PM
I inherited my Dad's old (1950's) Craftsmen table saw. I have replaced the motor and need to size a new motor pulley. Does anyone know the correct rpm at which the arbor/blade should be running? Thanks

Bill Huber
03-23-2012, 4:21 PM
In the 1957 Sears catalog they state recommended arbor spees for a 10" blade is 4500 rpm. They also state to use a 3450 rpm motor with a 2 1/2" pully. The book that came with the 1954 8" saw states the same thing.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2012, 7:35 AM
I was bored one day and figured out the tooth speeds of all the saws in my shop after getting hit with a kickback. All the saws from 4.5 to 16 inch had a tooth speed of 125 mph give or take about 10 mph.

Cordless saws are way slower which may be why the suck, and worm drives are slower as well but are meant for rough cutting anyway.

I thought it was interesting, but the real reason I figured it out was to find out how fast that piece was going when it hit me.........

Larry

HANK METZ
03-24-2012, 8:11 AM
I was bored one day and figured out the tooth speeds of all the saws in my shop after getting hit with a kickback. All the saws from 4.5 to 16 inch had a tooth speed of 125 mph give or take about 10 mph.
I thought it was interesting, but the real reason I figured it out was to find out how fast that piece was going when it hit me.........

Larry

Now add 20 M.P.H. to the formula to find your personal "escape" speed. :p

- Beachside Hank