PDA

View Full Version : Delta 34-670 contractor saw trunnion/blade adjustments

Justin DiValentino
03-23-2012, 10:21 AM
So I turned this thing over and adjusted the trunnion so the blade is dead on with the miter rails.

Problem is the blade wobbles too and fro as the height is adjusted. At first glance, there does not seem to be a good way to take the slop out of this. I'll take a closer look this weekend and get creative, but I'm wondering if you guys have seen this before, either on this specific saw, or one similar to it.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2012, 7:59 AM
I have one of those on the jobsite that is due for a serious cleaning/tuneup when this job is done. Not doing it now as I had to pull it up to the third floor balcony with a winch, but I will look at it today and see if I can see what you are discribing. I have had to replace the worm gear that controls the bevel before because it had too much slop. The rack was fine, just the worm gear was worn, and this could be your issue. There is some play in it normally however. The lock knob on the bevel wheel pulls the worm gear tight to stop what you are experiancing, but in normal construction site work I do not want to mess with that.

Larry

Justin DiValentino
03-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I have one of those on the jobsite that is due for a serious cleaning/tuneup when this job is done. Not doing it now as I had to pull it up to the third floor balcony with a winch, but I will look at it today and see if I can see what you are discribing. I have had to replace the worm gear that controls the bevel before because it had too much slop. The rack was fine, just the worm gear was worn, and this could be your issue. There is some play in it normally however. The lock knob on the bevel wheel pulls the worm gear tight to stop what you are experiancing, but in normal construction site work I do not want to mess with that.

Larry

Yea I havent been thrilled with this saw but I got it for free and need too many other things to replace it. It also came with a nice vega fence which makes it quite usable.

I did tear it apart last night and what I found was a large sheet metal washer that was deformed on the shaft that controls the height adjustment. The deformity seems to be what caused the blade to move side to side as it was cranked higher/lower.

I looked at a parts diagram and cant find it there so I can only assume the previous owner added it as a gibb. This seems to be unnecessary as the bar that bolts down on top of the shaft seems to have enough side to side movement to hold the shaft/motor mount tight.

Unfortunately, I also noticed the motor mount bracket was cracked all the way through. It still held its shape but i decided to replace it just to be safe, which will probably take a week to replace. Will report back as a reference for owners.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2012, 4:13 PM
Crap! I hired a new guy today and totally forgot to look under the hood. The height adjustment has a knob in the center of the crank as well used to hold it in place, so maybe that washer is factory? Does it look like one of those wavy washers, usually blue steel from the treating process that are meant to hold things apart but able to be cinched tight?

I suspect, and this feature is on a lot of saws including my PM66 that because of the design that allows sawdust off of the blade to get to the gears that there needs to be some play, and a means to get rid of it so that it will work. Not sure but that is my guess from looking at the works. My MiniMax has a dust case around the blade so that the gears are not exposed to anything other than fine dust, and it does not have the same setup. The gears stay tight and the set that is on it just tightens up on a ring.

I'll try to remember Monday, but I have a lot going on, and a bad memory........

Larry

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2012, 4:32 PM
Ok. I'm not very good at remembering model numbers so I looked up your saw to make sure that it was the same as mine. Its not. Mine is heavier, maybe a 34-444 but either way, what I am looking at will not help you.

Sorry, Larry