PDA

View Full Version : New handle, old saw

steven c newman
03-23-2012, 9:17 AM
227827227828 New handle for an old saw. Original was a"Plywoodie" type handle. This seems to be either a beech, or a Sycamore blank. Ray flecks are a darker brown, and square in shape. Saw kerf was with a D8 I also refurbished. Cut this kerf like it was butter. Didn't even have to sharpen the D8. I found some extra slim taper files, and I did work on the blade for this saw. Stamped at "8" points.

steven c newman
03-23-2012, 1:18 PM
The old handle was a plywood type of handle. it got chewed up when i was taking out the sawnuts, and the medallion. The plywood had also started to delaminate, due to water damage, someone had hung this saw up by the hole in the tip of the blade. I used the old handle for a pattern. The old handle did have some crude wheat carvings, but i think i will skip the carving part. I don't even carve the Thanksgiving Turkey, thank very much.....

A coat of Minwax Ipswich Pine is now drying on this handle, seem to make what grain there is......POP! A coat of varnish will follow, in a few days. New handled saw is shown sitting on my homemade router table, seems iused that to roundover all the edges. Got the sawnut holes drilled and counter-bored, awaiting new sawnuts. Those will show up in another $2 saw, i just have to walk ( yes, I DO walk) downtown and pick up another old saw, or two....