PDA

View Full Version : Jewelery/Keepsake box

Gene Hastey
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
I am an “old” newbie to small box making and have found that it requires different skills from hammer and nail projects. I would much appreciate any tips or advice on making boxes. Also any plans or directions available on-line.

Thanks.

Bill Rogers
03-22-2012, 2:25 PM
A good starting point is "Box-Making Basics" by David M. Freedman. Also, you can download some of Doug Stowe's designs on FineWoodWorking.com. Either of these will get you going in the right direction.

Lee Schierer
03-22-2012, 9:54 PM
You can make really fancy boxes with minimum skill using crown molding. Basically you miter each end of the four sides, cut a groove in four pieces to accept the bottom, glue it up and add a lid. I like to use the small brass barrel hinges from Rockler. Here's a sample.

Greg Labacz
03-28-2012, 7:05 AM
You can make really fancy boxes with minimum skill using crown molding. Basically you miter each end of the four sides, cut a groove in four pieces to accept the bottom, glue it up and add a lid. I like to use the small brass barrel hinges from Rockler. Here's a sample.

Wow, great idea. I've made a couple boxes ,but, I've never in my wildest dreams thought of using crown molding. Whats your trick for installing the brass barrel hinges, i've been afraid of using them because they look hard to install.