PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker's winding sticks

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I received a notice this am that Woodpecker's (http://www.woodpeck.com/ottwindingsticks.html?et_mid=545002&rid=233389068)is offering a set of winding sticks for $70. Please pardon my strong opinion, but winding sticks are extremely easy to make, and most people make them out of offcuts from a project. If you can't make your own winding sticks, well...

Mike

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't knock them if they were steel and precision ground on an edge to starrett tolerances.

But that's an awful lot of money for something aluminum, and there's already way too much aluminum stuff out there in the world of tools.

I guess there is a marketing model for one-time tools that suggests making high $$ accessories. WP isn't the first place to do the limited tool thing with prices the average hand tooler might gawk at.

Joe Bailey
03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
+ 1/2 -
I agree with the part (implied) about the price, but I don't see anything wrong with having them made from something more stable than wood - like the commonly-used aluminum angle stock from the big box store.
Woodpeckers' stock in trade consists of (admittedly) finely-CNC-machined jigs and fixtures. In some instances this makes sense. When you start grafting the concept onto something as mundane as winding sticks, it gets a little bizarre.
That said, if someone wants to pony up the $, then I say good for them.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't knock them if they were steel and precision ground on an edge to starrett tolerances.
I understand your point, but winding sticks don't have to be that precise. If you build them out of something like stable quarter sawn stock, they're going to be more than accurate. I have a set I made a number of years ago from some scrap cherry and they're still straight. One mistake I made is that I put a strip of ebony on the top of one - it might have been better to put a light wood, such as holly, on that stick. But when used against a light wall, the ebony stands out well. Maybe I should make another set - that one with a light wood on it.

Mike

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Right, they don't, but a double duty tool might be an excuse for the price. a 2 foot straight edge is a nice tool to have around planing small stuff.

Just as winding sets themselves, there's no reason to spend money when cheap and dirty would do just fine.

David Posey
03-22-2012, 12:54 PM
My guess is that David is thinking the might be worth it if they could double as a straight edge.

I see that I am both correct and too slow in my typing :)

Chris Griggs
03-22-2012, 1:03 PM
Doesn't lee valley already sell aluminum winding sticks for like $30 or $40. I think Rob actually once said that he actually discourages people from buying them and that the only reason they offer them is because so many people requested them.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 1:06 PM
Yeah, they do. I splurged at one point and got them in a fit of laziness (the LV sticks). They are fine and straight enough to use as a quickie straight edge when bringing down rough lumber.

Chris Griggs
03-22-2012, 1:10 PM
Winding sticks are actually a fun little project. They take almost no time to make, you get to inlay one piece of wood into another which is cool, and you get something very useful in the end. Plus, I use mine as a straightish edge all the time. That reminds me, I really need to true mine up.

Rob Lee
03-22-2012, 1:15 PM
Doesn't lee valley already sell aluminum winding sticks for like $30 or $40. I think Rob actually once said that he actually discourages people from buying them and that the only reason they offer them is because so many people requested them.

Yup - $29.50 ....

... and I agree - they make a great project!

Cheers -

Rob

Zach Dillinger
03-22-2012, 1:44 PM
I can't imagine buying winding sticks. Or straightedges, for that matter. But, if people weren't willing to buy them, they probably wouldn't make them.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 1:55 PM
If someone stole my starrett straight edge, I would have the "buy items in cart" button clicked on a machinist supply site before my butt even hit my chair.

If someone stole my "sto bought" winding sticks, I would probably take some offcuts out of my bins and glue something visible to the corners.

There are some toolmaking things where a good 24" straight edge is almost critical.

Zach Dillinger
03-22-2012, 1:59 PM
If someone stole my starrett straight edge, I would have the "buy items in cart" button clicked on a machinist supply site before my butt even hit my chair.

If someone stole my "sto bought" winding sticks, I would probably take some offcuts out of my bins and glue something visible to the corners.

There are some toolmaking things where a good 24" straight edge is almost critical.

I don't doubt it David. But I usually make furniture, despite my recent daliances into planemaking. A shop-made straightedge is more than fine for that purpose.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 2:35 PM
I wouldn't need it for furniture, either. It is nice to have when matching wide boards though.

Bill Houghton
03-22-2012, 3:04 PM
Mine are extruded aluminum 2 foot levels with broken vials - $1 each at yard sales. I keep meaning to spray one of them some bright color, but even without that, they work fine, are stable, and weren't much work.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 5:18 PM
Mine are extruded aluminum 2 foot levels with broken vials - $1 each at yard sales. I keep meaning to spray one of them some bright color, but even without that, they work fine, are stable, and weren't much work.

That's a good idea!

Trevor Walsh
03-22-2012, 6:47 PM
I think sometimes items like these tend to cater to people who enjoy thinking that they do a lot of woodworking, politely Gentlemen Woodworkers. Maybe they get into the shop now and again and the cost of bought winding sticks is preferable to wasting the time making winding sticks, even if they don't use them.

Not to say that's a criticism. I bought a whole set of dado planes, I've got the main blades sharpened (though some need the skew angles reworked) the nickers are pretty good, but that aren't cutting the way I think they are supposed to. The last thing I had to dado I did with a saw and router plane. Am I reconsidering the dado's, nope. I'm just waiting to rehab them I suppose.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 7:59 PM
I think most of the market is gentlemen woodworkers, nearly all of it. I'm probably included in that, though I bought winding sticks as an add on to get free shipping or something at one point, out of laziness.

If i could get away with it, I would never build a piece of furniture again, I would build planes only. My wife doesn't think that's a good plan.

Tony Zaffuto
03-22-2012, 8:45 PM
I think most of the market is gentlemen woodworkers, nearly all of it. I'm probably included in that, though I bought winding sticks as an add on to get free shipping or something at one point, out of laziness.

If i could get away with it, I would never build a piece of furniture again, I would build planes only. My wife doesn't think that's a good plan.

I think that's a fair observation, mixed in with a bit of "wannabe hero worship", based around "if I buy these winding sticks or that mallet, I will be like (fill in the blank)".

Paul Saffold
03-22-2012, 9:02 PM
Yep, I get their notices too. Some are a good idea- for something to make in the shop. Then DELETE.

Mark Dorman
03-22-2012, 9:17 PM
+1 on the levels. I have some that I've had for 25 + years and they got a second life the last few years as winding sticks.

Chris Griggs
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM

I'd agree with that and I while I like to get furniture built I could definitely fit into that category (if I were more of a gentleman). Although there are varying extremes of gentleman woodworker, and perhaps these winding sticks are intended for the folks who really just enjoy having the newest most precisely machined thing out there - which is fine by me. For some folks the shop, the sharpening, or just taking sub though shaving on scraps of figured wood is as much or more of the hobby as the actual woodworking. I personally try keep a balance, but will admit that if I had more spare funds I'd probably own as many sharpening stones as Dave and Archie (and a lot of other stuff) out of pure curiosity. Of course, than I would go crazy and sell 75% of it because of my nerosis over having expensive things that I don't actually use.

Anyway, sometimes I like just dinking around with my planes, sometimes I like messing with sharpening, I tell myself I'm learning and practicing important skills, which is half true, but really its fun to dink around and often that's all I have time to do. My preferenace is certainly to get some actual furniture building done as well, but I don't produce nearly as much as I would like too.

Maurice Ungaro
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I am a fan of WP's router lifts, and some of their other products. Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting tired of all the red anodized aluminum being hawked. Particularly when they are pushing tools for the neander realm of the hobby. Maybe they should offer stuff in black, with gold lettering......something befitting the price.

David Weaver
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I am a fan of WP's router lifts, and some of their other products. Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting tired of all the red anodized aluminum being hawked. Particularly when they are pushing tools for the neander realm of the hobby. Maybe they should offer stuff in black, with gold lettering......something befitting the price.

That's what most of my comment was about earlier. I think I saw a picture of the mallet (that's being discussed at the same time as the winding sticks) somewhere with what looks like a red flashlight handle. It was horrifying, something I wouldn't want around for free. I'm not the pickiest guy in the world for looks of tools, but there is a limit.

At that look, it's truly a collectable tool for the generation of folks who like the looks of a shop full of melamine and extruded aluminum.

I'd assume that we're seeing all of this machined aluminum because it's easy to make with CNC machines (and then anodize) , and a lot easier on cutters, etc. in production.

Maurice Ungaro
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I think I saw a picture of the mallet (that's being discussed at the same time as the winding sticks) somewhere with what looks like a red flashlight handle. It was horrifying, something I wouldn't want around for free.

David, I missed the mallet. Perhaps because I didn't bother to scroll down past the winding sticks! By that time, my eyes were bleeding.

Will Blick
03-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I think the "one time run" is what makes most of these tools successful, and direct sales, other than their connection with Incra. They stole the BCT concept, but make more affordable priced tools. I have bought many of them through the years. You can bet for sure, just like BCT, they might say 3-4 months, but expect 6-9 months. Sometimes I get the tool, and I can't even recall ordering it. Same true with BCT, ordered the mini plane from them about 7 months ago, just saw it in my order log, never received it.

Back to WP.... in general, lots of mid quality tools at best. The Winding sticks I ordered because of their length and high contrast lines, I have always been a big fan of winding sticks, sometimes they perform a task that is quite valuable. I bought them more out of curiosity than NEED. Of course, at $125, I would have passed, but they were reasonably priced considering their size and finish. And as others mentioned, they will serve other purposes, as they are prob. relatively straight, .003" would be good enough for many tasks...

Their other current offer is the thickness gauges. Now this one doesn't make sense to me....

why not make ONE single thickness gauge, and use a set of digital calipers to set to any thickness you desire...you could make a better quality gage, and larger surface area, if you only make ONE adjustable version vs. one in each size. One for dados, and one for thickness checks. Don't get the logic on this one...

Anyway, like most all WP one-time tools they almost always come around again in v2.0 which corrects all the shortcomings that existed in v1.0. That can be frustrating at times. Regardless, I am impressed they have built a business which is quite impressive from the videos they show.... lots of new CNC machines making these products. All making relatively new tool concepts... not sure if its Rich (owner) or some of the other employees, but someone has a very imaginative design mind. And maybe, there is more tool junkies than we thought...even I am guilty at times...