PDA

View Full Version : 94 buick century oil filter?

curtis rosche
03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
any one ver have trouble getting the oil filter off a 94 buick century? the v6 engine? we were trying to change the oil but we couldnt get on it with the wrench we have and im not sure if theres a special tool to remove it or not, theres not much room to get at it.

Chuck Wintle
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
any one ver have trouble getting the oil filter off a 94 buick century? the v6 engine? we were trying to change the oil but we couldnt get on it with the wrench we have and im not sure if theres a special tool to remove it or not, theres not much room to get at it.

i used to use a big screwdriver and punch it right thru the filter to turn it as I used to work at a chev dealer and saw this all the time.

curtis rosche
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
i had thought of that, but wanted to see if there was a tool or non-destructive meathod. i have taken off oil filters by punching through with a screw driver and dont mind doing that on less important machines, but i know a few people who have dont that on their daily driver car and then were stuck cause the filter shredded and the threads were left in.

Marty Paulus
03-22-2012, 1:05 PM
There are two basic types of tools that I have in my box. A strap wrench to go around the filter but you have to be careful. If it was overtightened, then getting it off will be a challenge without crushing the filter in the process. THe other tool is a cap with a 3/8 square hole for a ratchet. This just slips on the end of the filter and fits the detenets. THere are vairables of both out there. Just remember when you put the new filter back on go to finger tight plus 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. THere is a rubber gasket there for a reason you are not relying on the threads to seal like on a pipe.

ray hampton
03-22-2012, 4:31 PM
take 5 minutes break, time for a question , if you are using both hands to install the oil filter, HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHAT A 1/8 TURN IS

Mike Archambeau
03-22-2012, 5:20 PM
a big pair of chanel locks pliers works great too. If you bend the filter while doing this don't worry, it is a disposable item. Just be sure to have your new filter on hand.

curtis rosche
03-22-2012, 5:29 PM
a big pair of chanel locks pliers works great too. If you bend the filter while doing this don't worry, it is a disposable item. Just be sure to have your new filter on hand.

part of the problem is clearance

Pat Barry
03-22-2012, 7:39 PM
You can get a tool to remove it using your 3/8 drive socket set. Its pretty cheap and works great, see Marty's post above (not the strap wrench - that won't fit.). Don't need the wrench to tighten but if you do, go easy. Make sure to put a film of oil on the gasket before you install it so it seals properly.

Brian Elfert
03-22-2012, 7:46 PM
I used to change my own oil on my Ford F-350 with Powerstroke engine since I could crawl under there without jacking it up. One time I did the screwdriver trick and the filter was so tight I was just tearing the sheet metal. I had to walk to an auto parts store multiple times to purchase a few different tools to try to remove the filter. Apparently I had overtightened it big time and nothing would budge it. I ended up having to call a tow truck and have it towed to the dealer since the oil filter was punctured. Luckily, Ford roadside assistance covered the tow since I was still under warranty. Any savings on doing my own oil changes vanished with all the money I spent on filter removal tools.

The moral of the story is that puncturing an oil filter means the vehicle is going anywhere under its own power if you can't get the filter loose after puncturing it.

Jeff Monson
03-22-2012, 8:31 PM
there is also another useful oil filter removal tool that uses a 3/8" drive ratchet. It has 3 spring loaded fingers, the harder you try to loosen the filter, the harder the fingers dig in. This tool is very useful on many different sizes of filters.

curtis rosche
03-23-2012, 1:03 AM
Whats the name of the tools or where can you find it?

there is also another useful oil filter removal tool that uses a 3/8" drive ratchet. It has 3 spring loaded fingers, the harder you try to loosen the filter, the harder the fingers dig in. This tool is very useful on many different sizes of filters.

Dave Lehnert
03-23-2012, 1:17 AM

I got one at Harbor Freight. I used it this week to get a hydro filter off my ZTR lawn mower when other wrenches did not work. I did not pay anywhere close to $10 for one. I'm too cheap for that. LOL!!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-99629.html

Jeff Monson
03-23-2012, 8:51 AM

Curtis, we have a few different styles at my shop, here is a link to a 2 jaw model that works very well on your size filter.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=377 BTW the one Dave linked to should work fine also.

David Weaver
03-23-2012, 9:53 AM
I have the two-jaw type like Jeff shows and like it. The filter on one of my cars is recessed and you can only get to it with an extension and something like that.

I have also seen molded filter wrenches that fit on the end of a socket and fit specific sizes of filters (I had one of those for an accord and it works really well, but they only fit that particular size).

The only filter type I ever really hated was a design that VW had where the metal canister was permanent and you had to take it apart and put a new element in it each time. I think mercedes and audi may have also had that type. The canister had a 30mm nut on the end that wasn't too well shaped, but it stuck off enough to keep someone from getting any normal tool on the filter. I just bought a socket to fit it after fighting it for a while. VW's suggestion is to buy their special tool for everything. I think I could probably do a daily spot where I talked about something I hated on the VW I owned. They must hate mechanics.

Jeff Monson
03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
VW's suggestion is to buy their special tool for everything. I think I could probably do a daily spot where I talked about something I hated on the VW I owned. They must hate mechanics.

We work on a very large percentage of VW and Audi's, you are correct in every aspect, yes they have a special tool for EVERYTHING, and yes they hate mechanics.......but the cars sure love the shop!!

Randy Rose
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
IIRC taking the R.F. wheel off eases access considerably ( at least on the 3.1L model)

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 1:10 AM
We bought a used car last year and the guy at the dealership that did the oil change was REALLY ham fisted, I have changed the oil in cars and trucks probably 300+ times in my life and never was stymied. It was a Lexus ES (Camry with lipstick) and the oil filter is on the front with very little clearance to the radiator. I couldn't budge it, and I can't remember when I needed a tool to spin off a filter, I tighten by hand and never had a single leak and I can take it off by hand. The Lexus dealership wanted 80 or so bucks for their cap and I spent a frustrating day trying to find something that could work. Even though it was the same tool as needed for a Camry V6 (there are a couple of those out there) nobody had it in stock. I finally found one at one auto parts place and checked it against the filter for the car just to make sure before leaving the store... apparently the OEM filter has a slightly different top... My point see if you can verify the cap "socket" with the same filter before you waste the trip home.

In the end I gave up, humilated and defeated, and had my local mechanic change the oil (he had the full set of filter wrenches) and made sure he didn't overtighten it. It made sense because of the ridiculous price for the proper cap and I was reluctant to buy anything on the internet after the one I bought local fit the filter I had to replace it but not the filter that was on it. I just use my hands now... I have reluctant to use the screwdriver trick in cause it was REALLY on there and it just sheared the metal cover off, it ain't like you can drive it to get it fixed if that happens...

Peter Stahl
03-25-2012, 6:26 PM
Curtis, we have a few different styles at my shop, here is a link to a 2 jaw model that works very well on your size filter.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=377 BTW the one Dave linked to should work fine also.
I have this one too, I pretty sure I bought it at pepboys but it was definitely a chain auto parts store.

Phil Thien
03-25-2012, 7:43 PM
(1) Clean the filter with 409 or another degreaser.

(2) Wash/dry hands thoroughly.

(3) Have someone wrap your hands w/ double-sided carpet tape. The stuff we use in our shops to hold workpieces to a template. Basically, you're making double-sided tape gloves. Don't forget your thumbs.

(4) Grab onto the oil filter with your taped hands, twist, remove.

You'd be amazed how much leverage you can get on there with your arms when your hands have a death grip on the filter.

If you have enough room, you can wrap the filter with the tape instead of your hands.

You can wear gloves under the tape. I've found some gloves don't hold the tape well.

ray hampton
03-25-2012, 9:10 PM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1900517]. It was a Lexus ES (Camry with lipstick) and the oil filter is on the front with very little clearance to the radiator.

I think that I need new glassed , I thought that you saith [Camry with a dipstick and wonder what the heck, [ ok ,I confuse the D's and the L's

Jim Koepke
03-26-2012, 1:05 PM
VW's suggestion is to buy their special tool for everything. I think I could probably do a daily spot where I talked about something I hated on the VW I owned. They must hate mechanics.

Actually, they love VW mechanics by insuring most shade tree mechanics don't have the right tool and send you off to the dealership mechanics.

Funny that part of the original design idea of the VW was to have a car that was simple for any mechanically minded person to work on so there wouldn't be a need for a large support staff in the motor pool.

How times change.

jtk