PDA

View Full Version : help, the beetles!

Martin Rock
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi All

I have some nice blanks of spalted maple infested with bore making creature.

How can I get ride of them and their larvas.

I have tried the microwave before but can't say I had good success

thanks

Martin

Marty Eargle
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Put them in the freezer.

Jamie Donaldson
03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Freezing seldom works, except on some critters that might be local to tropical conditions, otherwise there would be no mosquitos in Minnesota, and we know they're the state bird! I have had best results with a plastic bag and moth balls or crystals, leaving the wood inside for several weeks.

Al Wasser
03-22-2012, 2:23 PM
You can also just put it on the lathe and start turning. Just be careful and keep you mouth shut. Freezing will not work cuz as Jamie says these critters are used to cold winters

Marty Eargle
03-22-2012, 3:17 PM
I'm going to have to disagree that freezing rarely works. Especially in rough outs and blanks. A decent freezer will kill most wood boring insects in a few days. It's been thoroughly written about and I've tried it myself on some oak and pecan blanks. Being up north, you may have beetles that are a bit more resistant to the cold, but I think it's worth a try considering its less likely to cause checking than heat.

Not saying its the most effective method, but certainly viable. If you want a guarantee...have your wood kiln dried.