PDA

View Full Version : Source for Replacement DP Chuck

Andy Haney
03-22-2012, 7:57 AM
I have a Craftsman floor model DP with a 5/8" chuck that has shot craps. I can get the OEM part, but would like to know what other replacement chuck options exist. My limited searching skills have come up empty, so far.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Myk Rian
03-22-2012, 7:59 AM
Just Google for drill press chuck.
Here's a Grainger selection.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dqz7

Jerome Hanby
03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Seems like I heard some good things about a chuck from HF, Think it was in relation to adding it to a lathe, but...

Daniel Berlin
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a Craftsman floor model DP with a 5/8" chuck that has shot craps. I can get the OEM part, but would like to know what other replacement chuck options exist. My limited searching skills have come up empty, so far.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Jacobs makes nice chucks for drill presses. Prices vary pretty wildly, i usually google the model number ;)

If you are truly crazy, they even make chucks with integrated shanks and guaranteed runout for the whole assembly.

Van Huskey
03-22-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/40302/Drill_Chuck_

They have keyed and keyless for excellent prices. If you want the best just get an Albrecht...

Bruce Wrenn
03-22-2012, 9:28 PM
Check both Woodcraft and Enco (use.enco.com) for their "in house brand of keyless chucks. I have a Woodcraft J-33 taper, 1/2" on my table top drill press, and love it.

Andy Haney
03-25-2012, 9:38 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I'll check out these sources and get something done.

Andy

glenn bradley
03-25-2012, 9:56 AM
An Albrecht chuck on a Craftsman DP? Really? Just kidding. I have the keyless offering that Woodcraft carried awhile back. It was only about $35 so I gave it a try. After a good soak to get all the goo off, it moves very smoothly and has performed surprisingly well for several years.

Peter Kelly
03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Louis Iturra sells some pretty nice keyless Albrecht Taiwan made knock offs. The 5/8" one is $45.

904 642 2802

Bill Geibe
03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
I went through the same experience recently. The 5/8 inch chuck on my DP wouldn't center the bits consistantly any more. I wanted to stay with a keyed check.

After giving it some thought, I realized that I rarely if ever had to chuck up anything over 1/2 inch. I ended up buying a 1/2 inch 'high precision' H6202 chuck from Grizzly that will go down to 1/32 inch: http://www.grizzly.com/products/High-Precision-Drill-Chuck-1-32-x-1-2-x-JT3/H6202 It seems to be well made, works smoothly and centers nicely. I got a new arbor just to be on the safe side and left the old one on the old chuck in case I ever need it. Griz has a big selection of chucks; Jacobs, and South Bend along with their own brand.

Bill

Matt Meiser
03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I just got one of the keyless chucks from Shars and it really nice. I actually bought it through their eBay store in a package that included the taper of my choice and the chuck.

Van Huskey
03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
An Albrecht chuck on a Craftsman DP? Really?

I've done dumber things that cost me more money...

Heck, if you put an Albrecht on it you could get a magic marker and mark out Craftsman and write Clausing over it... :D

glenn bradley
03-25-2012, 2:51 PM
I've done dumber things that cost me more money...

Heck, if you put an Albrecht on it you could get a magic marker and mark out Craftsman and write Clausing over it... :D

Thanks! I just blew coffee all over the monitor. :D:D:D