PDA

View Full Version : Which 20" Bandsaw would you choose?

Kirk Miller
03-22-2012, 2:06 AM
I ran across a local auction that will have 2 20" bandsaws in it. I have an older Grizzly 14" that I was toying with the idea of restoring and using but then I saw these 2 behemoths. I figured if I was going to rebuild something I may as well make it worth my time. I would use it primarily for resaw, and cutting Bowl blanks.

There is a Delta Rockwell 20" Band Saw Model 28-350 is listed in servicable condition. It has a 1.5 HP 3 phase motor.

The second saw is a PowerMatic 20" Band Saw, Model 31 208 / 440 3 Phase Power and they don't list a condition for it.

I plan on replacing the motor in whatever saw I end up with a 3 HP 3 phase with inverter to single phase.

They would be saws that saw light use, but I plan on keeping which ever saw I ended up with for a long period of time.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Scott T Smith
03-22-2012, 6:25 AM
Kirk, before making a decision I would check to see which one provided the most variety in terms of band width / thickness.

Kirk Poore
03-22-2012, 9:28 AM
I'd examine both saws in person. Look for the usual--worn tires, broken castings, broken trunnions, excessive rust, etc. See if they're still hooked up and can be run. Make sure the guides are in decent shape. It's quite likely that both should have new bearings. I don't have experience with either the 20" Delta or the PM 81, but in general Powermatics are built a little heavier and are more likely to have standard motors and use common bearings.

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with either as long as any required repairs are within your capability.

Kirk
who saw a PM 81 in the background of a recorded episode of "Grimm" two weeks ago...

Brad Patch
03-22-2012, 9:39 AM
The advice so far is excellent. I have an model 28-350. Delta 20 inch band saw,weighs about 700 LBS. I have replaced all the bearings using stock parts. Mine is a 1 HP model and will do a good job of resawing when using a sharp blade. The wheels are cast aluminum, not sure about the Powermatic The tires on this model saw are very expensive to replace.

Jeff Duncan
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Get the one you can afford. Assuming their both in similar condition and both wood cutting saws, (metal working saws run much slower and would need a lot more tinkering to get them rigged up for wood), I wouldn't be too concerned about specifics of either b/c their both light years ahead of a Grizzly. Use the advice already given about inspecting the saws and then take whichever one you can get.

good luck,
JeffD

Van Huskey
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I assume you meant model #81 for the Powermatic...

First, those saws are very similar, they were made in the same general time periods and were made for the same markets. They are welded steel saws designed to produce a cheaper alternative for schools and small commercial shops. They both weigh in around the 700# mark and are similarly well built. So my bottom line is get the one that is in the best shape.

Second, it seems more of the Delta saws were sold to schools and more of the PM saws were bought by commercial and light industrial concerns. This is to say I tend to see the average Delta 28-350 in better condition than the average PM.

There are a LOT of little differences between these saws and I could rattle on for several pages about each one but suffice it to say if price and condition were the same I would pick the PM. That is actually unlikely and I would bet that the PM will be priced higher and probably has been unsed/abused more than the Delta. As far as rehhabing them parts are available for both of them though you may have to look for certain ones. In general PM parts are going to be more expensive and somewhat harder to source depending on the item. Carter makes guidall 500 conversions for both and the price is pretty similar depending on which Delta you have A/B. C or D. The different versions of the Delta have to do with the connection of the lower guide. The one place the Delta can be a pain is the tires, they use the Delta Snap-Lock tire and run about $150 for a pair, I had a source for them that charged half that but I have lost contact with him.

In any event I would check them both out and buy on price/condition. I will try to answer any questions about parts, rehab or anything else I can.

I thought of one last thing the Delta has some quirks in the drivetrain. The orginal motor shaft was an odd size, AND the double belt spacing is non-standard as well. This makes for an interesting proposition to re-motor it with more power than a single belt can transfer. I have a 28-350 that I need to finish the resto-mod on but my plan for it is a contour cutting saw so I don't need a lot of HP so I am just switching to a single belt with a 1.5hp motor.

Edit:

Kirk, I thought I was the only one that saw that!

@ Scotts point about blade size, both saws will run 3/16-1" blades. PM actually had three sets of guides for that saw, the one you see the most is a steel block guide that covered the full 3/16-1" range they also had a small block guide and bearing guide both max out at 1/2" and the small block guides list 1/8" as the smallet blade. I have never seen a PM 81 in the wild with anything except the large steel block guides (unless of course they had been ceonverted to Carter, Wright or some other aftermarket guide.

Homer Faucett
03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Assuming both are in similar shape, I would go with the Powermatic. I have a Yates American that uses those Snap-Lock (or Carter Jiffy-tires), and they are neither cheap nor easy to come by. Plus, everyone seems to be having difficulty coming up with Delta parts these days . . . even Delta repair shops. AS for changing out the motor, I'd opt for a VFD instead. The big 3 phase motors in those seem to run forever, and it will probably be cheaper and easier to install a VFD than to get a replacement motor and install it. YMMV

Mike Cruz
03-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Kirk, just to give you an idea of what you are in for, I got a 1958 Delta 28-350 for $575. After buying a 3 hp 3ph motor ($100), VFD ($200), Carter guides, paint, belts, bearings, tires (aftermarket, not stock rubber), and whatever else I'm forgetting, I have at least $1,200 into the saw.

I don't have a PM81, so I can't tell you about comparisons. All I can say, is go with the one that is in better condition. And if you are planning all the "extras" like I did, plan on spending about $600 for them, so that should help you with what you can "afford" on bidding. Good luck!