PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Spray Guns: Which is best for under 150.00

Ted Baca
03-21-2012, 11:35 PM
I am wanting to buy a HVLP gun that I can use for most stains and finishes. So far what I have gleaned is I need one with interchangeable needles and nozzles. I already have a compressor, dryer and pressure regulator. But I have seen some that have the regulator on the gun as well. It kind of makes good logic to be able to control the pressure level at the gun as the pressure would vary from the compressor to the gun based on hose/air line length. Or am I wrong in that assumption? So I ask to share in the wealth of knowledge and experience I find here on the Creek. I really don't want a self contained unit such as Earlex as when I try those at store demos the hose seems to be cumbersome. Plus as mentioned I already have the compressor, it is a DeVillbis 6hp 30 gallon Tank, in case that is an ingredient that must be matched to the gun. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Van Huskey
03-22-2012, 12:28 AM
First, check the finishing forum there is TONS of info there.

Second, call Homestead Finishing and follow their recommendation

Third, my call would be the QualSpray QS600WB but there are a lot more experienced people here

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 12:40 AM
What you want is called a conversion HVLP gun. It connects to your regular high pressure compressor. The regulator on the gun is to reduce the pressure to the level for HVLP. I have a couple of Porter Cable PSH-1s but those are no longer offered new. I'm sure there's a bunch of good conversion guns out there.

In my opinion you want a gun that you can change the nozzle and needle but only if you're going to spray very thick paint, such as latex (every now and again, I need to do a small job in regular water based paint - and you have to thin the paint down quite a bit to spray it). For shooting regular shellac or lacquer, I can use the same nozzle and needle.

Two guns are nice - I use one for shellac (which I use as a sanding sealer) and one for lacquer. That way I don't have to switch one gun between the two finishes when doing a finishing job.

Mike

frank shic
03-22-2012, 12:58 AM
if you want to spray latex, an airless sprayer is a lot faster and requires much less refilling.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 1:14 AM
if you want to spray latex, an airless sprayer is a lot faster and requires much less refilling.
Well, there's a number of problems with airless sprayers, although they're good for big jobs, such as painting a house. But for small jobs (painting a shelf) they're a pain. The major pain is that the system holds a lot of paint so you waste a lot priming it and then cleaning it out. And cleaning an airless sprayer is a mess.

When I need to spray something small and use my HVLP, I just change my nozzle and needle, thin the paint, put it in the hopper, and spray away. When finished, I save the left over paint in a separate container and wash the gun. MUCH easier than an airless sprayer. And the only extra cost is the cost of the nozzle and needle. Compare that to the cost of an airless system.

Mike

Curt Harms
03-22-2012, 6:52 AM
What you want is called a conversion HVLP gun. It connects to your regular high pressure compressor. The regulator on the gun is to reduce the pressure to the level for HVLP. I have a couple of Porter Cable PSH-1s but those are no longer offered new. I'm sure there's a bunch of good conversion guns out there.

In my opinion you want a gun that you can change the nozzle and needle but only if you're going to spray very thick paint, such as latex (every now and again, I need to do a small job in regular water based paint - and you have to thin the paint down quite a bit to spray it). For shooting regular shellac or lacquer, I can use the same nozzle and needle.

Two guns are nice - I use one for shellac (which I use as a sanding sealer) and one for lacquer. That way I don't have to switch one gun between the two finishes when doing a finishing job.

Mike

I have a PSH1 as well. I suspect guns from other sources - Harbor Freight among them - have the same gun without 'Porter-Cable' on the side. I haven't dealt with Homestead Finishing & Jeff Jewitt but have never seen a negative comment. I also have an Earlex 5000. The benefit to the Earlex is portability. The hose is small enough and flexible enough that I don't find it inconvenient. If you need to spray outdoors or at a friend/relative/rental, portability is useful and there really isn't much overspray with the Earlex.

Cary Falk
03-22-2012, 8:16 AM
I bought a$30 Harbor Freight one about 5 years ago. They no longer make that model but it has been great. It did not come with interchangable tips. I have sprayed laquer and enamel paint with mine with no issues. If you are not paint cars I think you will be ok with the lower dollar ones. CH and Kobalt has some at the Borg also.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2012, 8:38 AM
Jeff Jewitt does sell some lower-priced entry level guns. I doubt he'd sell junk so that would be a great place to start.

I don't think the PSH1 of 10 years ago is exactly the same as the PSH1 of today.

David Werkheiser
03-22-2012, 9:14 AM
"Conversion air HVLP" guns are usually air hogs and your air compressor may not be able to keep up. I would use some clean solvent or water in the new spray gun first and make sure that you have enough air. You may need to go with a LVLP gun.
David

Jerome Hanby
03-22-2012, 9:33 AM
It's not $150, but I bought the Earlex setup for about twice that and it's been working well for me (spraying shellac). I think they make a "lesser" rig that's in that price range, but I've never touched one of those...

frank shic
03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
it is a pain cleaning out an airless system and priming it does take a while but i could never thin down the paint enough to spray it well enough through my fuji help system. perhaps i need a smaller needle? haven't figured that out yet...

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
"Conversion air HVLP" guns are usually air hogs and your air compressor may not be able to keep up. I would use some clean solvent or water in the new spray gun first and make sure that you have enough air. You may need to go with a LVLP gun.
David
Agreed. But I have a 1HP Craftsman compressor and use my conversion guns very effectively. I've also used them on a job - in the customer's house - using a pancake compressor. You just have to divide your work up and let the pancake compressor catch up. And by divide the work up, I'm talking maybe a 10' counter, not just little bits.

Mike

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
it is a pain cleaning out an airless system and priming it does take a while but i could never thin down the paint enough to spray it well enough through my fuji help system. perhaps i need a smaller needle? haven't figured that out yet...
No, you need a nozzle with a larger hole. The thicker the material, the bigger the nozzle. I use a 2mm for latex paint but a 2.2mm might be better.

Mike

James White
03-22-2012, 7:21 PM
This one has served me and many others well. You can get a 20% off coupon pretty easily so that makes it a great price. The down side is that it only has one tip. I believe woodcraft sells other tips that fit it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1212b&utm_source=1002

James

frank shic
03-22-2012, 8:15 PM
mike, thanks for the advice. i'll give the #6 nozzle a try... do you have any tricks for figuring out how much material is left in the cup?

Lloyd McKinlay
03-22-2012, 8:50 PM
The best source for information on Fuji HVLP product is Roger Phelps, formerly Phelps Refinishing and has been a Fuji dealer for many years. He has lots of hands on experience. Google him or find a link at the Fuji site under authorized dealers.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 9:01 PM
mike, thanks for the advice. i'll give the #6 nozzle a try... do you have any tricks for figuring out how much material is left in the cup?
I have a gravity feed gun with a plastic hopper so I can see how much material is in the hopper. I don't have much experience with suction guns.

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
03-22-2012, 9:17 PM
Last year, I bought a couple of the HF conversion guns (the one without the regulator) to spray a set hand rails I was rehabbing. Paid $9.99 each for them at side walk sale. Kept primer in one, and paint in the other. Probably one of the best twenty bucks I ever spent.

Ron Natalie
03-23-2012, 5:53 AM
I've got an Ingersol-Rand one I bought at Tractor Supply. It's worked well for me. While it was more than $9.99, it was under $100 ($89) and it includes an inline pressure regulator so you can leave your compressor alone and adjust it at the pointer you're using it.

James White
03-23-2012, 8:48 AM
HF 20% off coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

James

John Gregory
03-23-2012, 9:54 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with Earlex, Here is one to consider. I have the 5000 and love it. This 3500 is at Amazon for about your budget. IF you want a spray station.
http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV3500-Spray-Station-Sprayer/dp/tech-data/B003F095CQ Portability is nice.

Ted Baca
03-23-2012, 1:37 PM
Thank you all for your replys. I have been looking at Homestead Finishing, but they have a lot of models to choose from.
I need to do more research to determine which gun will meet my needs and provide options for any future expansion of needs. It looks like 150.00 may not be enough to get what I need. If anyone knows who made the Porter Cable maybe I can find the equivilant. My needs as mentioned will be for all stains and finishes so having interchangeble nozzles and needles is a must. I think the gravity feed makes the most sense unless someone can provide a scenerio where the syphon type is better. As far as the Earlex and other similar models I have ruled those out and am really mentally set on a compressor driven guns. The 'Conversion Guns' are mentioned to be air hogs but my compressor as mentioned is has a 30 gallon tank and I have two 50' hose reels, 1)20 foot reel and about 30-40 feet of copper line, so I have plenty of storage and the compressor has a fairly good recovery rate. Most projects will be smaller and probably not require a full cup of stain, so I don't feel too concerned about air volume demands. With that said any more ideas on which models to look at? Thanks for all the help so far.

Mike Henderson
03-23-2012, 1:54 PM
I think it was on this forum someone posted who made the gun for Porter Cable. I don't really remember the name but DeVilbiss popped into my mind when I was considering your question. I do remember it was a well known spray gun manufacturer.

[Yep, looks like it was DeVlibiss. Take a look here (http://www.devap.com/repair_pdfs/at_search.aspx?id=AT)and select PSH1. Looks like the PSH1 is still available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PSH1-Gravity-Feed-Spray/dp/B00005R1IK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). I bought my second PSH1 gun from eBay and got a pretty good deal (new).]

Mike

[BTW, no matter what gun you buy, get a welding tip cleaning set. These are wires of different sizes which have been roughened. If you get any clogs in the nozzle, use the tip cleaning wire (of appropriate size) to clean the tip.

Also, it took me a while to learn how to clean the gun properly. You need to take the nozzle off AND the orifice behind the nozzle (you need the special wrench which is included with the gun to remove the orifice). Clean the orifice and the inside of the gun well. I mostly use water based finish so I use a hose and squirt water into the areas. Additionally, if you have a situation where the gun is not spraying properly, check the bleeder hole in the top of the reservoir. It'll plug up with material and then air can't get into the reservoir so the material doesn't flow. It took me a while to figure that one out the first time.]

john bateman
03-23-2012, 9:41 PM
If you decide on a conversion gun, check out Paint Sprayers plus.
The Asturo line is a little more than the price you want to spend, but they have a kit with a small gun, 3 nozzle sets, and a small cup. But you can add a 400cc cup for $22. This will spray pretty much everything. The QualSpray QS125 kit that Homesteadfinishingproducts.com sells is the same thing if you prefer to buy there.
http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/ and click on "Fine Finish Spray Guns"
http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/product/AR878/Asturo-AOM-Water-Base-HVLP-Mini-Spray-Gun-Master-Kit.html
http://www.paintsprayersplus.com/product/A18400SE/400cc-Gravity-Feed-Aluminum-Cup.html

They also have a house brand called JET which are knockoffs of the Asturo at lower prices.

All the choices make it a bit confusing, as I'm sure you're finding out.

frank shic
03-24-2012, 1:01 AM
only thing i hate about conversion guns is that the compressor is so loud compared to an airless or an help turbine!

Van Huskey
03-24-2012, 1:17 AM
Thank you all for your replys. I have been looking at Homestead Finishing, but they have a lot of models to choose from.

I love to research things as well, but sometimes I get into paralysis by analysis but honestly all you need to do it make a mental list of your desires/needs and know your compressors output and give Jeff a call at Homestead. The guy is one of the finishing gurus and will not steer you wrong, whatever he recommends would be the way I would go, even if it was contrary to popular internet opinion.

John Coloccia
03-24-2012, 2:27 AM
I love to research things as well, but sometimes I get into paralysis by analysis but honestly all you need to do it make a mental list of your desires/needs and know your compressors output and give Jeff a call at Homestead. The guy is one of the finishing gurus and will not steer you wrong, whatever he recommends would be the way I would go, even if it was contrary to popular internet opinion.

I just bought a gun from him tonight. I don't even think they're open on Fridays, they were there :) He seemed pretty knowledgable and was able to steer me to right what I needed without much fuss.

...and I spent right about $150.

Fred Voorhees
03-24-2012, 8:51 AM
I have been using this gun and love it.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

John Coloccia
03-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey, you know I just want to plug two guys who have helped with spray gun matters the last 2 weeks or so.

These two guys:

http://www.spraygunrepair.com/ - Paul Masters
http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/ - Jeff Jewitt

Both of them have gotten my business lately, and will continue to get my business as I grow, because apparently I annoy my local paint supplier that I had been using. When I call my local guy, the guy behind the counter always seems to be annoyed, as though I'm wasting his time. It's not like I'm a tire kicker. I go in to buy, but he never seems like he wants my business and is completely unhelpful. The owner is nice, but he's never there. The last straw was when I needed to rebuild my Devilbiss EGA...after huffing and puffing the doofus took the part numbers I needed, and then just never called me back...which is exactly what I thought he would do and I was annoyed at myself for even trying.

Paul is relatively local to me (about 1 hour away), and had what I needed on hand to get me going again. We had a nice chat, I played with his dog, and found out that he also rebuilds guns to sell at very good prices. You can really get a deal from him on a high end gun if he happens to have what you need.

And of course Homestead hooked me up yesterday when my cheap clear coat gun completely fell apart (a box store special), leaving me high and dry with no way to spray. I don't think it took but 5 minutes on the phone to get it done. I'd still be on hold with my local guy and who knows how long it would take to actually get what I need, assuming he actually orders it.

Anyhow, it's so refreshing, and rare, to work with people that I can trust and that don't waste my time that I just had to plug them.

John M. Johnson
03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
This one has served me and many others well. You can get a 20% off coupon pretty easily so that makes it a great price. The down side is that it only has one tip. I believe woodcraft sells other tips that fit it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1212b&utm_source=1002

James

They do have additional tips for this gun:

1.7mm tip 10190 $8.10
2.0mm tip 10191 $8.10

I use the 2mm for thinned latex all the time and it works pretty well.

fRED mCnEILL
04-20-2012, 6:45 PM
I have a number of paint sprayers including a Hero airless for big jobs, a Devilbiss 1 qt. suction and most recently a "chinese" special gravity feed LVLP. As stated, the airless are for big jobs. Mine requires a gallon of pain to prime. But it will do the side of a house in no time. The Devilbsiss is top of the line that I have had for almost 40 years. It does a fabulous job but I started reading the benefits of HVLP and was going to buy a good one. Then I read about LVLP and, at the suggestion of someone on this forum, picked up a cheapie from the local Princess Auto(Canada's version of Harbor Freight). I manufacture furniture type products(www.blackberryhollowtacktrunks.com (http://www.blackberryhollowtacktrunks.com)) and didn't need the capacity of the Devilbiss. This gun holds a couple of pints, is gravity feed and only requires 20 lbs of pressure. The difference has been dramatic. I usually spray laquer and the finish is just as good as the Devilbiss. BUT, the oversrpay is almost negligible which means the amount of paint used is less. I now use 1/4 the amount of laquer I previously used.And I also switched to water based so clean up is a breeze. The gun cost $69. It was suggested that these cheap guns probably don't use stainless parts so it might be a good idea to rinse the gun with alcohol before putting it away to prevent any rusting which is what I do.
So before you go investing is a high dollar gun you might want to try one of these. Also because it only needs 20 lbs pressure you can get away with a much smaller compressor.

I should also add that I just started using this gun for applying a water based stain as well. I was using a folded cloth but decided to try spraying it and it is fabulous. Not to mention the fact it takes about 1/10 the time.

Regards

Fred

Sam Murdoch
04-20-2012, 7:04 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with Earlex, Here is one to consider. I have the 5000 and love it. This 3500 is at Amazon for about your budget. IF you want a spray station.
http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV3500-Spray-Station-Sprayer/dp/tech-data/B003F095CQ Portability is nice.

I was just sitting down to write a question about the Earlex or one of the Fuji models and here you guys are already talking about it. My days of spraying lacquer are over as I believe I have been over sensitized to it. Now I'm a latex, urerthane, shellac or Waterlox finisher. Is the Earlex 5000 a good tool for these finishes? And once you load it up for a batch of work can you leave the reservoir full overnight or do these systems require spray and clean between each use. Thanks for any info. And thanks to Ted for starting this thread for me. :)

Sam

James White
04-20-2012, 9:18 PM
They do have additional tips for this gun:

1.7mm tip 10190 $8.10
2.0mm tip 10191 $8.10

I use the 2mm for thinned latex all the time and it works pretty well.

John,

Thank you for sharing that. I must have missed your post when you first posted it.

James

Scott Holmes
04-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Sam,

To clean or not to clean is an option for nitro-cellulous lacquer and shellac.

NOT for varnish and not for waterborne finishes. I would guess (I don't own a HVLP) that leaving a waterborne in a gun that has had warm air pushed through it would cause problems the next morning.

A good rinse would be the very least I would do and still expect to have a working gun the next morning. Ditto on varnish.

Alan Lightstone
04-21-2012, 9:26 AM
I've been pretty happy with my Fuji XPC gun / HVLP system (though I'm a total beginner spraying). Roger Phelp's company was great to deal with.