PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here planning to get Verizon Homfusion Internet when it launches?

Matt Meiser
03-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I keep hearing we are getting DSL. The equipment is sitting installed 2.5 miles from my house. They've rewired my line to connect me to that equipment. They've even made some changes to my wiring to prep. But the date keeps getting pushed out further and further.

Now Verizon has announced Homefusion using LTE to provide home Internet. We don't have LTE yet but suspect we'll get it soon since there is coverage a few miles south and about 10 miles north. I'm real interested in this option and would like to hear from people who get it before it becomes available to me.

With any luck either will be temporary as the cable company has told me we are slated for construction next year and there is also a company looking at doing fiber-to-the-home using a fiber backbone the state just built through our area using ARRA funds.

Jamie Buxton
03-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Wired internet services are generally sold in terms of MB/sec -- that is, data rate. My DSL service is of that kind. Wireless data plans are generally sold in terms of GB/month -- that is, total data volume. Homefusion is of this kind. Because of this, it is difficult to make the cost comparison between the two kinds of service. Do you know of a widget I could install on my PC that would total up how many GB I use in a month? That would be very interesting to know.

Brian Elfert
03-22-2012, 7:45 AM
Verizon's wireless home Internet service is limited to 10 GB per month and it costs $60 a month. If you don't do a lot of video or music and don't download large files it could work out for you.

It really only makes sense if this is the only available option for your area. If you're in a rural area with no other Internet options then Verizon might not have LTE coverage in your area either.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2012, 8:03 AM
Jamie, some routers will tell you, but maybe only since the last reboot, and some ISP's have a place on their web site to check. I know my dad can check his u-Verse. They were using in the 20-30GB range but now they have a DVD player that streams Amazon movies with their Prime subscription so I bet its jumped.

Keep in mind that my current internet connection is a Verizon 3G/4G device installed in a fixed router. 10GB for $80/mo at 1.5/0.5mbps is what we currently get. We typically use 8-10GB/mo, but occasionally go over by 1-2GB at an extra $10-20. That's with virtually no streaming video or music and trying to do big downloads (software for work, The Wood Whisperer videos, etc) away from home. I'm the guy killing your hotel internet connection. :D

$120 for 30GB/mo at 12/5mbps sounds awesome to me (the purported large plan for Homefusion.) The only other choice is satellite (which also has severe limits) or a T1 line for $300/mo from the company looking at doing fiber-to-home, including 1 phone line of VOIP with unlimited calling. I almost signed a contract for the T1 in November but was promised we were weeks away from DSL back then. People close enough to the central switch in our exchange can now get DSL as of about 4 weeks ago but we are waiting for them to finish the backbone to the remote terminal we are served from.

I work from home. Cost (almost) doesn't matter. Work pays the first $100 and even $150 more for the T1 is cheaper than getting a new job and paying for gas every day. My questions are more in the technical realm than whether its a good idea. If it becomes available here, its an awesome idea.

IF, and its a big IF, we get cable, the cable company that would be serving us just announced 100mbps system-wide by year end. Unfortunately they are looking at spending about $1M to serve a relatively small area because, as I understand, not only do they have to hang all the wire, they have to install a new switch (or whatever its called) and run a new trunk line to that because the people who are just to the south of us who have service are at the hairy edge of what they can do. To their credit, they've put me in touch with a VP there and he and I periodically exchange emails on the status of the project.

Rudy Ress
03-22-2012, 8:46 AM
Jamie,
There is a windows widget from http://addgadget DOT com/ called Network Meter that give both current and total upload and download values. I have Win 7.

Dan Beckman
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I have an app on my Droid phone called My Data Manager that keeps track of my useage, both mobile and Wifi. Seems to work OK.

Myk Rian
03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Do you know of a widget I could install on my PC that would total up how many GB I use in a month? That would be very interesting to know.
Net Meter http://download.cnet.com/Net-Meter/3000-2155_4-10435551.html
It reads traffic from the 'puter, to the router/modem. Other network nodes are not counted. Need it for each machine on the network.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2012, 1:03 PM
The problem with a PC-based solution is DVRs, cell phones connected via Wifi, etc.

Myk Rian
03-22-2012, 6:40 PM
True. But it gives you a rough idea.

Matt Meiser
03-22-2012, 9:51 PM
Not if someone is using those devices to stream audio or video. Web pages and even file downloads are typically tiny compared to those uses.

Brent Grooms
03-29-2012, 4:52 AM
Matt, I hadn't heard of this offering.. might be something to look into as well. Currently I am using a wireless device and while its an LTE, I am in the fringe of coverage so I do not get much in the way of speed but it beats dealing with comcast and is fast enough for most of my needs

Jim Becker
03-31-2012, 7:21 PM
My biggest concern with the new VZ offering will be the caps that apply and likely always will apply to wireless solutions. The reason this concerns me is that more and more folks are drawn to enjoying online content...which really increases bandwidth usage. And the penalty VZ plans to charge for overage is substantial.

I honestly hope that the FTTH hits for you. I so enjoy having fiber service and with 35/35 (effectively 43/30 in performance) with no caps and no effect from neighbors usage like with cable service, I can use all the communication toys I sell and also enjoy very high quality (uncompressed) HD video and other services.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2012, 2:10 PM
Bump. Launched now in 6 locations--anyone here get it? I've found a few screen shots of the device config pages and see links for port forwarding and such leading me to believe its really intended to be a true home internet (albeit limited) solution. I also found pictures of the indoor component of the system. It connects to the antenna via coax cable. The antenna apparently contains the actual radio too. There's 4 ethernet ports, WIFI, and, interestingly, a phone jack that's currently unused. Bet it won't stay that way long since they've been testing voice over LTE.

Sounds like Verizon is doing a ton of LTE upgrades this year and we are in a small uncovered pocket between two large 4G "blobs" so I'm hoping we'll see it sooner rather than later.

Jim, my first choice would probably be the cable company if we ever see the day where we have choices. The FTTH company is small and I've heard some negative comments. And they'd probably not offer TV as part of the package. We could get a cable package for a very considerable savings over our combined current satellite/land line/3G internet bills--probably cut the total in half. But I'll take whatever comes, and probably be happy to buy out contracts if something better comes along because the payback will be quick.

Brent, check out 3GStore.com if you have a Pantech USB device. They sell an antenna that may help you. I use one of their antennas for 3G that's made it considerably more reliable. I don't think that will work for the Mifi's though.

Eddie Watkins
04-16-2012, 3:11 PM
Matt, Verizon doesn't offer any type of service here, yet. We had an AT&T aircard for several years tht was $60/month for unlimited access. Last year AT&T went to 5GB/ month with additional charges if I ran over. I did a search on the internet for other alternatives and found a small local company that offered unlimted wireless service for $50/month. We have a small receiver mounted outside and it is within line-of-site of the tower the guy installed at his home. I've been with him since November with no glitches. It might be somethng you could set up for yourslef and sell access to cover the charges. His website is pretty basic and doesn't tell you much but his setup is the same as the one at atlink.com. You may find someone around you doing the same thing.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2012, 3:41 PM
There is one company doing that here. I tried them about 4 years ago. Her "backbone" connection is a cable modem. She installed it, didn't have it working, and then missed appointment after appointment after appointment to get it working. A business near me had it and his stopped working and he ran into similar issues--she wouldn't even return his calls. He stopped paying his bill and never heard from her. Then he died. The equipment is still on the building.

Someone else is talking about expanding here and bought a tower from a bankruptcy estate late in the fall. That tower would require me to put up an 80' tower but they are looking at using our township's water tower as a second tower which can be seen from my shop's roof. That would probably be plan C ord D. I'd rather have the Verizon service due to the speed or DSL if either make it here for the reliability/cost/capacity if the cable or fiber don't come.

Something or some things are going to happen here in the next 12 months. DSL was supposed to be done but I've been promised so many times I'll probably be on something else first. And I don't think the speed on the DSL is going to be all that great because the backbone to the main terminal is going to be copper.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Matt, if you don't get one of your listed options, we just upgraded to Wild Blue's new satellite. 5mbs here, I think 11mbs in your area. Still has the slight satellite travel delay, but for $60/mo we get something like 75gb download and the speed is about 10 times my old satellite connection. We're not expecting DSL, cable or wireless anytime soon, but I'm quite happy with our connection now, we can even stream video!

Matt Meiser
04-17-2012, 7:37 AM
I think latency (delay) would be a killer for work for me. I do a lot of remote desktop sessions and a lot of GotoMeeting. We had Hughesnet for 2 years when we first moved to this house, then 3G came along and we've been on that ever since.

If you run a speed test, what are your ping times?

Matt Meiser
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Oooh...if the calll I just got is good info, DSL might be here. Or not based on the subsequent call to my own personal tech who said he hasn't seen any activity on it.

Brian Elfert
04-17-2012, 6:17 PM
It is strange how broadbrand Internet is so unevenly distributed. There are people on the fringes of large cities who can't get broadband Internet and then there is a Scout camp I know that has fiber optic Internet in the middle of nowhere. The Scout camp is about 8 miles from a paved road and about 45 miles from a city of any size. (They probably don't really have fiber optic all the way to the camp, but rather some place close to the camp.) The Scout camp had dial-up, then satellite, and now fiber optics.

The Internet is for use by the adminstrative staff, not for the use of the Scouts.

Matt Meiser
04-17-2012, 7:01 PM
Of course the tech, not the guy 2 layers up was right so still no DSL.

Brian, that is what is driving me nuts. We have nothing. People literally 1.25 miles south of me have 110mb cable available. People just about 1-1/2 miles north of me can get DSL as of about 60 days ago. I'm well within range of the equipment, but there's some issue with the cards that's the latest holdup. Something about being prone to lightning damage. You'd think they might have figured that one out say, 10 years ago?

Verizon is doing a HUGE expansion of LTE coverage on Thursday, but we still won't be covered. In a small pocket between "Detroit" and "Toledo" that doesn't have coverage. Maybe next months' launch.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2012, 1:33 PM
Bill, I did some research on Exede and it looks pretty impressive except that the latency would be a killer for me for work. However, most of my work stuff doesn't really require a ton of bandwidth. If it becomes clear that nothing is going to happen for some time I might look at adding Exede for home use and keep my Verizon card for work. I think I can set my router that holds the Verizon card up to route all traffic from certain MAC addresses out the Verizon card and use the WAN port for others--that would go to the Exede modem.

I'd look at jumping on it sooner, but they don't have a month-to-month option, only a 24mo contract and the early termination fees are $15/mo.

John Shuk
04-19-2012, 9:19 AM
Matt,
You say you are working from a remote fiber fed cabinet. When VZ does do an upgrade to those usually it is done by the Construction Department so an installation/repair tech may not know if they have added the shelf until he gets an installation order. I happened to be the Construction Tech who installed the DSL equipment in my remote cabinet. I turned it up and tested it and put it "In Effect". It was some time before I could get the service despite my assurances that the equipment was installed and ready for use.
You may want to talk to a person in the engineering department in your area if you can get a number.

Matt Meiser
05-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Frontier still says "60 days." Supposedly they are going to start to install the cards within the next week or two but they also haven't provisioned the circuit for the backbone connection. And Frontier can't even seem to consistently keep 2 phone lines working for more than 6 months at a time so I can't imagine how DSL is going to work. We just had an outage on one line for over a day at the end of last week.

Verizon LTE issued a press release last week that the Toledo market is slated for an expansion Thursday it only mentions south and west of Toledo. Technically our county is part of the Toledo cellular marketing area but Michigan and Ohio have different press contacts. Verizon's tower that's about 1.5 miles as the crow flies from me got new fiber run out to it late last year. And just today I followed a Verizon truck that turned and went out to the tower so they were doing something out there today.

So on my original question--anyone have HomeFusion yet?

Matt Meiser
05-16-2012, 3:12 PM
I haven't ordered from them, but these companies carry small stuff.
http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm
http://www.jimorrisco.com/

Mike, wrong thread, wrong forum! :D

Myk Rian
05-16-2012, 4:59 PM
I sure wish I knew how that happened. :confused:
Post deleted

Matt Meiser
06-12-2012, 10:42 PM
LTE is still not available to us. Last update I got from Frontier is late this month early nex but I'm growing more and more concerned about whether it's going to be viable. Lots of speed and reliability complaints out there.

But...a couple hours ago I got word that the wireless provider has activated their tower near us. Site survey to be scheduled ASAP. Here's hoping that we won't need a cost prohibitive tower to get it.