PDA

View Full Version : Pine Bark Beetle

dan carter
03-21-2012, 9:16 PM
In the West, we are losing many, many Lodgepole Pine trees to the Pine Bark Beetle. It is always interesting to see the blue stain and how far toward the center of the tree it has moved. Often times people at the Gallery ask how the color of the turning was achieved, only to be surprised by the answer. This bowl is 4 1/2 x 9. Brushed on Gloss Lacquer sealer, several coats of MAO, and buffed and Ren Waxed for a finish. Thanks for looking.

Doug W Swanson
03-21-2012, 9:57 PM
Love the bowl Dan. I've got a few pieces that I picked up in MT last summer and they have similar color to your bowl. I'll have to turn them into bowls one of these days.....

David DeCristoforo
03-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Sweet looking bowl. The wood coloring is the icing.

John Keeton
03-22-2012, 5:59 AM
Nice work, Dan. I am surprised at the tightness of the growth rings on the pine. Apparently it is slower growing than white pine.

Michelle Rich
03-22-2012, 7:23 AM
look super

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2012, 8:29 AM
Really nice Dan. Love the coloring of the wood.

Nathan Hawkes
03-22-2012, 9:15 AM
Pretty amazing how tight the rings are on that bowl! I counted nearly 100 rings in 9 inches of wood. Way different than pines here in the east. You did a great job with the form. The low bead/rise at the rim looks great. I haven't liked that detail in some other bowls I've seen but yours looks good!

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2012, 9:16 AM
Good looking bowl! Like John, the tightness of the growth rings caught my eye!

dan carter
03-22-2012, 9:50 AM
The tightness of the rings is pretty typical of Lodgepole Pine around here. A little further apart the first few years then pretty tight thereafter. I still have a cord of split pine on the deck and as I look over it, many if not all growth rings look similar. I suspect our average annual snow fall of 500" plays a major roll.

Jamie Donaldson
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Same thing with many pines here in KY Dan. I have many old Scotch pines on the property that now look like Norfolk Is. Pine, but without the branches. The spalting of pine sometimes makes the sappy mess of turning pine worth the effort. This piece is 15" W and the #5 Hunter tool was my friend for hollowing this stuff more cleanly that any other method I've tried.

dan carter
03-22-2012, 2:58 PM
Nice looking bowl. Nice looking grain. With so much of pine at risk, the supply is dwindling that is for sure. I am envious of your pine, it does have alot of appeal.There are acres and acres of dead or soon to be dead pine here in WY. Colo and Mt are much the same. I don't notice so much sap on the lodgepole pine, now the douglas fir around here, yes that has alot of sap. 22" rounds weigh so much, it makes them pretty hard to handle by one guy.