PDA

View Full Version : Playing with my monster

Bob Rotche
03-21-2012, 7:56 PM
Got a Monster articulated arm system a few weeks ago and have been having fun getting the feel of it. Both of these pieces of walnut were rough turned previously with a handheld tool and then finish turned with the monster. 1st is 5 x 4" and second is 6 x 3 1/2". Both have 1 1/2" opening and about 1/4 thick and finished with danish oil and beall buffed. C+C always appreciated.

Alan Trout
03-21-2012, 8:01 PM
Bob,

Those are really nice pieces. I really like them both.

Alan

Roger Chandler
03-21-2012, 8:09 PM
VERY nice, Bob...........that Monster rig really does a nice job. I wish I had time to get to use mine, but I have to take care of the obligatory April 15th things first ......... maybe before long!

I like both of these forms.........pretty wood and finish.

Ted Calver
03-21-2012, 8:14 PM
Good forms, good finish and really nice wood. Nice job! Go Hokies!!

Jamie Donaldson
03-21-2012, 8:15 PM
That's an excellent start Bob, and now you can begin to stretch your capabilities with the Monster by going for smaller openings and thinner walls.

charlie knighton
03-21-2012, 9:08 PM
very nice, you seem to like the southwest forms, well done and thanks for sharing

David DeCristoforo
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Both are well done, Bob but I really like the way the grain flows around the taller one.

robert baccus
03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Bueatiful shapes and finish and wood..... ---------old forester

Ken Glass
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Bob,
Both have great form and color and they show just how much Walnut can change with orientation of the wood. Well done on both pieces.

John Keeton
03-22-2012, 6:06 AM
Bob, it is easy to have fun with the Monster rig - bet it was a lot more fun than when you roughed this two by hand! I like both of these pieces - some features more than others. The form is nice on both. I like the wood on the second one, and I like the size of the base on the first one better. I also like the sweep up to the opening better on the first one. I usually try for an opening under an inch, but quite honestly, on the last SW form I did with the General WTF finish, I used a 1.25" opening and liked the look. Smaller bases would help both of these a little, IMO, but excellent work!

Michelle Rich
03-22-2012, 7:22 AM
for playing around, they look fantastic

Bob Rotche
03-22-2012, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Overall, I'm pleased with how they came out for a first foray into this style of turning. I knew the foot was too big on the 2nd one as soon as I took it off the lathe but figured trying to fix it would likely not end well so am just chalking it up to experience. I also agree with those who suggested a smaller opening and thinner walls but that will come with experience. Was more or less just trying to take the monster for a spin around the block. Will really put the pedal to the metal and see what she can do over the next several months as I become more comfortable with the system. I feel like a swan neck bar would really be necessary to achieve a high shoulder with smaller opening but I'm pretty sure my Trent Bosch hand held bars will fit and should be just the ticket. Overall, I am thrilled with the Monster and can't wait to improve my skills with it. Opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Bill Hensley
03-22-2012, 8:24 AM
Bob both are very nice pieces. Like the shape of both, sure the bases could be a little smaller but that's only a nit.

The Monster does a good job of taking the stress out of hollowing. I got a 5/8 to 1/2 bushing to adapt some of my handheld tools. Makes it even more versatile.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2012, 8:27 AM
Those are really nice Bob. Looks like the monster did well for you. Really like the wood on the second one.

Tim Rinehart
03-22-2012, 8:52 AM
Nice work Bob...this ought to open up a world of possibilities that you can explore further. The forms came out very nicely for just fooling around!

Jamie Donaldson
03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I have the Monster 5/8">3/4" step-up adapter which allows my old home made tools to fit my Monster, and also use the Jordan hollowers as well.