PDA

View Full Version : Festool TS 55 Short Long Rail Combo?

Adrian Anguiano
03-21-2012, 6:20 PM
I'm looking at either the dewalt track saw or the festool. Dewalt has a package where you can get their 4ft and 8ft cutting guide and saw for one price. Big savings over buying the additonal track seperate.

Does festool not offer a double rail package? Or do i have to buy the 106" guide seperate for an additonal 200$.

And no, i dont want 2 55" rails and have to spend the time connecting and disconnecting them.

Victor Robinson
03-21-2012, 6:51 PM
No double rail package that I am aware of. However, some dealers may let you substitute the 55" rail for the 106" and pay the difference in price. That's not really helpful though since you want both sizes.

If you want to save a few bucks the Makita rail works with the Festool saw. But I'm not sure how well it works with other Festools and accessories (e.g. don't think it works with parallel guides).

frank shic
03-21-2012, 8:16 PM
adrian, are you sure you have a good way of storing that extra long rail? might be easier to just crosscut the sheet of ply first and then rip it.

Adrian Anguiano
03-21-2012, 8:43 PM
Well I have a 96" home made jig right now for my circ saw. It sits on my lumber rack. So it will prob sit in the same spot.

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Adrian,

Where did you find the deal for the Dewalt?

Adrian Anguiano
03-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Tools Plus had it for $569 for the Saw and both rails

www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dws520ck.html

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-22-2012, 7:07 AM
Tools Plus had it for $569 for the Saw and both rails

www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dws520ck.html (http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dws520ck.html)

Appreciate it, Adrian.

Adrian Anguiano
03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
adrian, are you sure you have a good way of storing that extra long rail? might be easier to just crosscut the sheet of ply first and then rip it.

Frank, That would work in some cases for sure. Problem is when making a cabinet say 19" deep like im doing now. I want to keep all the grain going side same direction. Up the sides, across the top, down the other side, across the bottom. Because of that since there are so many parts that will be 19" in one dimension its easy to just rip an entire row 19".

The other reason is to maximize the use of the plywood. Cross cutting could leave me with some plywood thats not long enough in one dimension if i crosscut all the way. If i crosscut just a little then id have to pull out a hand saw or jig saw to finish the cut so i dont cut to far with the circular saw. And thats just annoying.