PDA

View Full Version : Non-woodworking Neander Question

Joshua Culp
03-21-2012, 3:02 PM
I visited the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Museum in Washington, DC on Monday. They had some really great stuff, but the one thing that piqued my curiosity the most was this candlestick with plier-like jaws built into it. There was no placard explaining how it was used or what it was made to hold.

It wasn't made to hold anything heavy since the clamping force is only generated by the weight of the candle-holder half of the pliers. It was obviously made to hold something close to the light, but not permanently. Maybe some sort of needlework that required constant adjustment?

My best guess is that it was made to hold little cards with guests' names written on them to designate seating assignments at fancy dinners.

Does anyone have any guesses?

Jerome Hanby
03-21-2012, 3:05 PM
Just guessing, but could it have been to hold some kind of lamp shade?

Erik France
03-21-2012, 3:21 PM
It's a rushlight holder.

Jerome Hanby
03-21-2012, 4:03 PM
Is the holder does double duty, holding either a candle or a rushlight?

Erik France
03-21-2012, 4:35 PM
I think so. A google image search for rushlight holder will show a lot of variations.

george wilson
03-21-2012, 6:04 PM
It was a cheaper alternative to candles. Candles cost so much that the use of them by ordinary people was very limited. You could get just as much light out of these rush lights. Sometimes they held a thin ,string like candle with about 1/4" diameter of wax on it,to save wax. It was coiled like a little rope.

Justin Green
03-21-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.victorianweb.org/technology/domestic/1.html

Cool information on the rushlights, with photos.

Bruce Page
03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
I have never heard of a rush light. I learn something new here everyday.

Joshua Culp
03-22-2012, 5:54 AM
Thank you, all. I've never heard of a rushlight either. You really do learn something new every day.