PDA

View Full Version : Triton router vs woodpecker prl2 what'cha 'tink?

Scott Driemel
03-21-2012, 2:55 PM
Hello everyone. I need some savvy advice if you will. I'm new to woodworking, but have been amassing the tools for a decent shop over the last 7 years for my retirement which has now finally arrived. Ta Dah! I bought a pretty deluxe router top/fence a few years ago and put it onto a nice "Norm style" table. Presently I have an older (although new) Hitachi M12 (3.5hp) plunge router in it where I've removed the springs as recommended. It is a tad frustrating to adjust this unit for height. oops too much, darn, not enough, ... I'm sure you all know the drill!
So over the last year I've been wondering about the idea of a lift. Now I've read all the threads on lifts and everyone has good things to say about various brands and how they like them but in all honesty, for the majority say that like to have them, but you don't NEED to have them. So I'm wondering, if I was to buy a Woodpecker prl2, (presently on sale at Incra for $299.00 ouch!), I'd still have to shell out for the Porter Cable 7518 motor (which is the one I believe I'd go for) another $279 or so.
Here's the thing, Rockler now has the 3.25hp new Triton on for I think $289. I've been told before (off various forums) that people really like the above table setting ability of the Triton. Is it really as good doing this vs buying the dedicated lift and then a seperate new router? I mean if spending $289 gets me 2/3rds of the way or maybe ALL the way, vs almost $600, then I'm in.
The last thing I need is another router around the shop (the Triton) if it doesn't adjust properly or is a pain to use. (I do hear several of you saying "ya can't have too many routers" but it's the cost factor I need to examine here.)
So if you have a bit of sage advice I'd love to hear it. I hear great things about the smaller Triton, but haven't heard of anyone talking about the newer bigger one. (especially it's above table depth adjustmentability. (is that even a real word?)

Van Huskey
03-21-2012, 3:21 PM
I think it is safe to say the Triton gets you pretty close to a router lift and motor. I would be hard pressed to but an actual number on it but definately over 2/3rds. Thats said I much prefer a good router lift and really like the WP lifts. Obviously if money os no object go with the lift and the motor, you won't be disappointed. $300 is a big difference and I think you will find the Triton is a much better table mount router than the Hitachi.

Bruce Page
03-21-2012, 3:22 PM
Scott, this doesn’t answer your question specifically but have you looked at the Router Raizer for your Hitachi? I have one installed on a smaller PC 7529 router/table setup and it works as advertised. I also have a Benchdog lift with a PC-7518 and I can’t tell much difference as far as raising & lowering.

Scott Driemel
03-21-2012, 3:37 PM
Thx Bruce. I just took a look at the RR and it is interesting. Looks like I need to buy it and the extra kit to do above table router bit changes, both which will total about $150 taxes in. Maybe it's bad angles, but in all the RR pics, it appears that the opening in the table plate has a raised lip to accomodate the lifting crank mechanism? If this is so, wouldn't it always be 'proud" of the table and be hugely problematic? Like I said, maybe it's my eyes fooling me so hopefully there is no raised lip?

Scott Driemel
03-21-2012, 3:41 PM
Has anybody tried the new 3.25hp Triton? I'm thinking with the comment regarding the Triton being a solid table mount router, (maybe in comparism to my Hitachi M12V?) I usually dislike buying a new tool right away as it hasn't had the bugs worked out all the time, but if I recall, Triton already had it's big router out & this is just a new "fine tuning" version of the old one?

Victor Robinson
03-21-2012, 3:44 PM
I put a Triton in my router table and haven't felt a need to upgrade to a lift + motor. I have no doubt that I'd enjoy having a lift, and sure it's on the "nice-to" list for one day just because I'm a sucker for nice tools, but for now there are competing priorities and I haven't felt like I'm missing anything.

I will say that I'm not in love with Triton's build quality or ergonomics. This doesn't matter as much for a table router, but I wouldn't enjoy hand-holding this thing.

glenn bradley
03-21-2012, 4:03 PM
The Triton is not of this land and therefor ergonomics and control positions are different. For table use this matters little as Victor points out. dad has had the 2-1/4HP Triton in the table for several years. The power button safety gizmo is still a pain (never gonna get used to that thing). The larger Triton now offers better table mounted features that used to be exclusive to the smaller router(?). Guess after nearly everyone asked why the bigger router had lacking table features, they decided to redesign ;).
I was trying to figure out what the adjustment problem was with the Hitachi but, I think I see that it has no micro adjust for depth. Is that right:confused:? The router-raizer would solve that if that is the only complaint. I run Milwaukee 5625's in PRL-1 lifts and couldn't be happier. Do you NEED one? No but, never use one if you don't plan on getting one because there's no going back :D.

Dave Anthony
03-21-2012, 4:14 PM
I have the Triton in a Benchdog table, and a Bosch 1617 with a Jessem lift in a homemade table. They both work quite well. The Triton excells at above the table bit changes, and I haven't had a problem with it holding depth settings. One possible issue is you have to turn the switch on the router off to change bits. Because of the way I mounted the router this is easy, I just open the door and can reach the switch easily without looking. The problem is the location of the hole for the handle to adjust the depth above the table is very close to the fence, and I have to move the fence to use the above table crank. I could fix this by rotating the router in the mount, but then reaching the on/off switch would not be as ergonomic. I just reach inside the enclosure and turn the knob to adjust bit depth, it's no big deal. This is a large router, I wouldn't want to use it for hand held work.

Scott Driemel
03-21-2012, 4:31 PM
This will be my dedicated table router. My Hitachi M12V has a micro adjust but part of it's (the routers) issue is the aluminum housing at the bottom has to be cut open to allow for swinging big bits. There are lots of instructions of how to do this on the web, but the thought of cutting the aluminum on the base of my router just doesn't feel good to me. One of those purchases I made prior to being on this forum so that's why I'd be willing to make an "informed" purchase now. The idea of above table bit changes & a router sytem that can handle big bits is important to me. Yes, the Triton has a "one wrench" bit change as well I believe?? Yup, that'd be nice too. As you chaps all know, if you can afford the Cadillac, then buy the Cadillac. But there are more things on the wish list like a Powermatic shaper, and a Jet 22-44 sander etc etc, that are waiting in the long term to purchase category. So saving $300 is still a very nice to have.(only to be spent later of course!) But NOT if I'll regret it, and always covet the Prl2 because the Triton works well, okay with problems.

Bruce Page
03-21-2012, 5:35 PM
Thx Bruce. I just took a look at the RR and it is interesting. Looks like I need to buy it and the extra kit to do above table router bit changes, both which will total about $150 taxes in. Maybe it's bad angles, but in all the RR pics, it appears that the opening in the table plate has a raised lip to accomodate the lifting crank mechanism? If this is so, wouldn't it always be 'proud" of the table and be hugely problematic? Like I said, maybe it's my eyes fooling me so hopefully there is no raised lip?

Scott, it is just bad photography. The kit comes with a small aluminum ring that is installed into your router plate or table top to hold a steel cap/plug. I didn’t install it. I made my router plate and incorporated the counter bore into it. (see pics) I’m not sure why you say you need 2 kits, I only needed the one; it allows adjustments while in the table or while using handheld.

Scott Driemel
03-21-2012, 5:51 PM
Hello Bruce. Thx for the pic. The extra kit is to allow "on top of the table" bit changes so it would be as effective as the Triton. Here's link to look at if you want. (I hope I'm allowed to include that?) http://www.routertechnologies.com/ And yes Glen. The Hitachi M12V does have a fine adjustment micro style adjuster. But it would be done from under the table. Do people take the plunge springs out of the Triton when you put it into a table mount? I removed the springs on my Hitachi without much trouble, wonder if it's the same with the Triton or does the above table adjuster work fine with the springs in?

Dave Anthony
03-21-2012, 6:08 PM
You need to remove one spring, takes < 15 sec. And yes, the Triton does use 1 wrench bit changes.

Guy Belleman
03-22-2012, 6:12 AM
I just made a router table and installed the Triton router using the Woodpecker's aluminum plate, and couldn't be more happy. The Triton is a pleasure to use. The above table adjustment is superb. The switch is easy to get used to, although it is different than the more popular American models. The router directions were great and easy to follow, and taking out the spring for upside down table mounting was easy. Mounting the router into the Woodpecker's plate was easy and lined up perfectly, and has the winder hole already put into the proper place. The whole thing works marvelously, and is quiet. The router really adjusts up high for easy wrench use and bit changes. I really like the automatic lock so that only one wrench is needed for bit changes. After my three 30-year-old routers finally failed, I decided to modernize, and also didn't want to spend a fortune on a router and lift, plus table, fence and accessories. From now on, for table use, I don't ever see the need to purchase anything but a Triton.

Jim Rimmer
03-22-2012, 1:17 PM
I just made a router table and installed the Triton router using the Woodpecker's aluminum plate, and couldn't be more happy. The Triton is a pleasure to use. The above table adjustment is superb. The switch is easy to get used to, although it is different than the more popular American models. The router directions were great and easy to follow, and taking out the spring for upside down table mounting was easy. Mounting the router into the Woodpecker's plate was easy and lined up perfectly, and has the winder hole already put into the proper place. The whole thing works marvelously, and is quiet. The router really adjusts up high for easy wrench use and bit changes. I really like the automatic lock so that only one wrench is needed for bit changes. After my three 30-year-old routers finally failed, I decided to modernize, and also didn't want to spend a fortune on a router and lift, plus table, fence and accessories. From now on, for table use, I don't ever see the need to purchase anything but a Triton.

That is a great summary. I "got" one for Christmas and haven't had the time to get it into my router table yet. I requested it specifically for the table because I wanted to avoid the cost of a separate lift. It's great to know about the Woodpecker plate. Thanks for the info.