PDA

View Full Version : Where to have Colt MaxiCut Forstners sharpened?

David Brimm
03-21-2012, 2:38 PM
I use and abuse these things on a daily basis and have several sets that I now need to get sharpened, can anyone suggest where I might send them for a good professional sharpening job? Maybe Colt has such a service but I haven't been able to find it if so and they haven't answered any of my inquiries.

I have tried sharpening some myself and am unable to get acceptable results because of the more complex geometry of the bits.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Glenn Rutkowski
03-21-2012, 4:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAO4UVs_Qik

David Brimm
03-21-2012, 5:16 PM
Thanks Glenn - that's actually the video and process I've been trying and getting mediocre results. The results I'm getting better than outright dull bits but not nearly as sharp as the bits are new. I'll keep trying but also would like to keep looking for a professional outfit that I could ship 20+ of these bits to at a time for sharpening as I'm using another set.

Chris Hedges
03-21-2012, 6:21 PM
Try Milescraft. I believe they are the North American distributor of Colt drill bits

Chris

David Brimm
03-22-2012, 1:08 PM
Thanks Chris - I'll look into Milescraft.

David Brimm
03-28-2012, 4:47 PM
Just posting a real quick followup, I talked to Milescraft and they don't sharpen the bits nor can they recommend anyone who does. That being said they were responsive to my questions and were pleasant to deal with which is always nice.

The search for good sharpening continues... :cool:

John Coloccia
03-28-2012, 5:43 PM
Try W.L. Fuller

www.wlfuller.com

David Kumm
03-28-2012, 7:07 PM
Call Bobby at Woodworkers tool Works. He is good. Dave