PDA

View Full Version : Looking for inexpensive tool rests

Neil Bosdet
03-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I bought a new General Model 25-650ABC M1 http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-650ABC.html

It only comes with a 14" tool rest and I would like a 6" +/- rest for small bits. Prices at most retailers seem very high for such a simple part, $40 +/-. Do any of you know where one could source (internet order) inexpensive tool rests with 1" posts?

Thanks,

J.D.Redwine
03-21-2012, 2:23 PM
Penn State Industries or ebay.

Robert McGowen
03-21-2012, 2:46 PM
inexpensive

I think that this is the first time that I have ever seen this word in the turning forum....... :cool:

Marvin Hasenak
03-21-2012, 2:58 PM
There are a couple of people on the penturner forum that make tool rests. Not sure of the prices but everyone seems happy with them.

Nick Fournier
03-21-2012, 5:30 PM
I received a great rest from sawmillcreek member Jeff Nicol for a reasonable price, I'm not sure if he's still making them but it might be worth sending him a PM.

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2012, 7:08 PM
I went down to our local welding shop and had 4 Stainless steel made up for $50. Had a 4", 6", 8" and a S curved 10".

Ken Glass
03-21-2012, 11:24 PM
I agree with Bernie. Most rests are fairly easy to make and weld up by a local welding shop.

Neil Bosdet
03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I think that this is the first time that I have ever seen this word in the turning forum....... :cool:

Robert, notice there have been no solutions other than do it yourself.

I'll sweet talk a friend of mine, that knows all things metal, into making me a couple.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Robert, notice there have been no solutions other than do it yourself.

There's one post that says get it from PSI/e-bay. I can verify CHEAP rest from PSI, they make economical tool rests. BUT WAIT, holster that flame thrower. I'm saying they are cheap. You pay for what you get. They work, and they are economical. In my opinion, a tool rest is a good place to invest some money. Robust makes a good rest as does Jeff. I think it's money well spent. And I'm a cheap guy.

Neil Bosdet
03-22-2012, 12:50 AM
There's one post that says get it from PSI/e-bay. I can verify CHEAP rest from PSI, they make economical tool rests. BUT WAIT, holster that flame thrower. I'm saying they are cheap. You pay for what you get. They work, and they are economical. In my opinion, a tool rest is a good place to invest some money. Robust makes a good rest as does Jeff. I think it's money well spent. And I'm a cheap guy.

The PSI/eBay tool rests have 5/8" posts. I need 1".

Ryan Mooney
03-22-2012, 1:35 AM
The PSI/eBay tool rests have 5/8" posts. I need 1".

Not saying its a good design (or maybe it is - never used it), but PSI does sell an adapter sleeve for $11.

A little (err ?double? or so) more is the woodcraft setup where you have replaceable tops and a post you can reuse. The post currently looks to be around $16 and a straight 6" is $37. They aren't perfect, but I've been fairly happy with it - I got a 4" a 6" and the S bowl rest which - in combination with the 12" that came with my lathe has served most of my needs so far....

Neil Bosdet
03-22-2012, 1:44 AM
Didn't see the adapter before. Nice catch!

Eric Gourieux
03-22-2012, 2:00 AM
Have you checked the teknatool website? They have a 10 cm rest. Not sure about the post size.

J.D.Redwine
03-22-2012, 6:38 AM
3 Piece Tool Rest Set for Full Size Lathes: 1" dia. Post
Item #: CLTSET1
Our Price: $29.95 pennstateind.com/store/lathe-tool-rests.html

John Keeton
03-22-2012, 7:26 AM
I have "Robust style" rests made by Jeff Nicol, and Jeff also made a similar set for my previous lathe. I don't think Jeff is actively taking orders at this time, but this is one area I would not recommend going cheap. IMO, the Robust style is much better than most others I see. It permits close work, and is substantial enough to provide solid wood contact. Catch a sale at your local Woodcraft and buy the Robust rests - you will appreciate the quality and it will show in your work. There is nothing much more aggravating than working with an ill designed rest.

Jim Underwood
03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I too have a couple Jeff Nicol tool rests. I've enjoyed them. I could use a couple other sizes, so I need to talk to my buddy with a metal shop...