PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Fingernail Grind; Teardrop-Shaped Scraper

Russell Neyman
03-21-2012, 10:18 AM
At this month's Olympic Woodturner's meeting (March 28th, for those of you who live in the Seattle area) Dave Schweitzer is going to demonstrate his sharpening system. What I like about his approach to grinding his deep-fluted bowl gouges is the extremely long grind, much deeper than I usually see. Most grinds are roughly 90 degrees at the apex, but Dave gives it a much longer rake. His gouges have a much deeper flute, too, so that probably makes a difference. I stole this photo off of the D-Way website to show you what I'm talking about.

While I'm touting Dave's tools, I purchased one of his detail scrapers and have found it extremely useful. He calls it his "diamond tool" and lists it in the beading tool category, but I find it most useful for reaching into the very small areas of a feature or for creating a grove for a burn line. It's very small and teardrop-shaped, and made from some darn tough steel. Here's another shot from the website:

For those of you in the Seattle area, this month's demonstration (March 28th) will be a multiple subject affair, with four different demos going on simutaneously. Dave's sharpening will be only one of them. My hat's off to the officers for coming up with a new way to make the educational segment more useful.

mike ash
03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Russell - Can you give me an address. I might plan to visit my duaghter in Seattle that weekend, and hitting this meeting would be neat.

thanks, Mike

Ralph Lindberg
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
The map is here (http://www.opcaaw.com/MeetingMap.htm), please note the time is incorrect, the meeting starts at 6:30

The Clubs main-page (http://www.opcaaw.com/index.html)

Russell Neyman
03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Ralph included a link in his response, but the meetings are at the Chico Adventists Church gymnasium, technically in Bremerton but actually in the area commonly known as Chico on the west side of the main highway, between Bremerton and Silverdale. The actual address is 5088 NW Taylor Road. Hope to see you there.

mike ash
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info.