PDA

View Full Version : Wood choice for patio table

BRAD CHAMNESS
03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

I need your opinions on choices of wood for a patio table. Do you think Walnut or Cherry would be suitable or do I need to look at the more exotic and expensive options such as Ipe or something similar? The patio does have a roof over it so any water would be wind driven and minimal ?

Thanks for your replies,

Brad

Paul Symchych
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
How about white oak?

BRAD CHAMNESS
03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I really wanted a dark colored wood

Bill Rogers
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Ebonize the white oak.

Paul Symchych
03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
AFIK most of the dark colored tropical woods will turn silvery or grey after a year or two in weather.

BRAD CHAMNESS
03-21-2012, 2:47 PM
Will these woods not retain their natural color if treated with a preservative?

Carl Beckett
03-21-2012, 3:24 PM
My experience:

You can treat, or even stain the woods and they will retain their darker color. Pretty much any wood can be stained to the color you want.

If you dont recoat regularly (even if just clear poly), expect them to weather and turn gray over time. So to keep the dark color - you have to plan on another coat of preservative about every other year.

I used Mahogany planks on my deck and its a nice dark red color (also treated with Red colored stain/oil preservative). But I have to redo about every other year. Polyurethane lasts a little longer for me, but still requires recoating from time to time.

If you were in a mild climate and covered you might get by with longer time between recoats.

Jim Andrew
03-21-2012, 8:18 PM
Walnut is a wood that lasts outside, if you look at the way the logs last laying on the ground. And the stumps last a long time too. So if you have a good source for walnut, it would be great. Don't use any sapwood, as it rots away pretty quickly.

Gary Herrmann
03-21-2012, 8:29 PM
I made mine of white oak. Pick a dark marine grade varnish you like.

Sam Murdoch
03-21-2012, 9:24 PM
Brazilian Cherry aka Jatoba is very nice - hard and the right color and good in the weather :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenaea_courbaril

William Nimmo
03-22-2012, 6:38 AM
General finishes outdoor oil on cherry will be just fine on a table on a porch. cherry does surprisingly well outside

Myk Rian
03-22-2012, 8:34 AM
They use Teak on boats for a reason.