PDA

View Full Version : Sugar bowls for the LOML

Roland Martin
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
There is always two sugar bowls by our coffee maker, one regular and one no calorie, go figure. My wife's been asking for a couple of matching bowls for this purpose. Well, without too much thought, I figured I'd better get right to it since this spinning addiction gets fed a bit more freely when the LOML is happy:D.
I decided to give a bit of off-axis turning a try. I quickly found out that turning two of the same item, and having them match each other reasonably well was a bit more of a challenge. I also turned a box and spoon to be shared with the bowls. The LOML is very happy,so of course I am:).
They are claro walnut and soft maple with the interiors finished with GF - WTF, exteriors are 3 coats of AO. 4 1/2" x 5", spoon holder is 2 3/4" x 3 1/4". I dressed up the lids a bit with my homemade elf tool.
As usual,thanks for looking and feel free to offer C&C.

Russell Eaton
03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice set Roland, it should be worth a couple new tools.

John Keeton
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Fantastic job, Roland!! Those two lidded bowls are twins - excellent work getting them identical. The spoon holder is a perfect accessory. I suspect you racked up some good brownie points for these.

Prashun Patel
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Beautiful. I love the off-axis turning here. Very tastefully done. Note to self.

John Altberg
03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Those are beautiful, Roland. I am impressed that you were able to make such a well matching pair - not an easy thing to do!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Beauties Roland. I can see why she loves them.

Allan Ferguson
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
They do look nice. Very pleasing to the eye.

Dennis Ford
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
They look great. I really like the design of this set.

Brent VanFossen
03-21-2012, 2:27 PM
I figured I'd better get right to it since this spinning addiction gets fed a bit more freely when the LOML is happy:D.

You're a very smart man. And that is a delightful set.

Richard Jones
03-21-2012, 3:36 PM
Sweet!! (get it? sugar bowl? hahahahahh)

Excellent work, care to share your process?

Thanks for sharing your talent.

David DeCristoforo
03-21-2012, 3:37 PM
Those are... uh... "sweet"! I have never been able to make two things exactly the same. Love the spoon too!

Roger Chandler
03-21-2012, 4:26 PM
Those are "top shelf" for sure, Roland. A fine display of your skills and such a well thought out design..........that set ought to net you a new tool for turning or something! ;)

Greg Just
03-21-2012, 8:30 PM
Very nice job Roland. Love the contrasting colors and the spoon is a nice touch.

Baxter Smith
03-21-2012, 9:14 PM
Great job Roland! My favorite turnings are things that are both functional and pretty. These are way up there on both those scales!

Does the WTF used on the inside, leave any trace of odor when the box is left closed?

Roland Martin
03-21-2012, 9:37 PM
Sweet!! (get it? sugar bowl? hahahahahh)

Excellent work, care to share your process?

Thanks for sharing your talent.

I'll try to elaborate on the process tomorrow, pretty well had it for tonight. Thanks.

Great job Roland! My favorite turnings are things that are both functional and pretty. These are way up there on both those scales!

Does the WTF used on the inside, leave any trace of odor when the box is left closed?

Thanks Baxter, yes it still has some odor, I was hoping it would be gone by now, been a couple of weeks with the lids off. I'll give it a bit more time and see what happens, like I have a choice:D.

Thanks all, I appreciate all the "sweet" comments:D:D

Michelle Rich
03-22-2012, 7:27 AM
adorable set..will look terrific in your kitchen.

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2012, 9:23 AM
Wow - now that is some real nice work! You and your wife should both be very happy with this set! I like your photos as well!

Tim Rinehart
03-22-2012, 9:45 AM
Roland, I liked these enough to show LOML and she likes them too!! A winner for sure, well done set and great job on duplication.
This may be something I try to do sometime. I like the spoon too!

Michael E. Thompson
03-22-2012, 9:51 AM
Very nice. I like the maple 'band' offset. Looks great.

Harvey Ghesser
03-22-2012, 3:47 PM
Roland, those three items are beautiful! What a beautiful set. And the spoon really adds to it.

Roland Martin
03-22-2012, 4:34 PM
Wow - now that is some real nice work! You and your wife should both be very happy with this set! I like your photos as well!

Thanks Steve, I finally got a #39 background, it's certainly helping to keep things a bit more consistent.

Kathy Marshall
03-23-2012, 2:36 AM
Beautiful set Roland! I'm sure someone is very happy with them!

Steve Busey
03-23-2012, 8:35 AM
Great looking matched set! I have trouble making a ONE piece matching set (???). The only critique I can think of would be that I'd make the center band thinner for the no-cal sweetener (no-cal = thinner, right?), just to tell them apart from the outside.