PDA

View Full Version : Something else to do with those little scraps.

Bill Huber
03-21-2012, 8:25 AM
This is noting really fancy but it is something that can be made from those little bits of scrap. I had some scraps of walnut and some maple and just a little purple heart. They were not very big but the walnut really looked beautiful and I just could not throw them in the trash.

But what I am I going to do with it, there is just not enough to make a very big box and I just could not think of anything to use it for. Then one of my granddaughters was over and always checks my chair for change and normally fines some :rolleyes:. She puts it in a jar with her name on it. Well why not make a bank, its not going to be a really big one but it will hole a lot of change, it is 5 1/2"x7".

It is a box, kind of, there is no bottom in it, it is screwed to the base from the bottom, so when it comes time to get the money out just unscrew the base and there it is.

I have seen a lot on just unreal boxes on the site but I have never see anyone make a bank, not to say they haven't but I just have never seen them. So what I am saying is this is just something else you can make out of that scrap.

227687 227688

Keith Starosta
03-21-2012, 8:50 AM
That's a very pretty little bank, Bill! You're right...it would have been a shame to toss that walnut. :eek: Great use, and a good idea!

Now, the question is.....is the slot big enough for all those silver dollars that fall outta your pockets? ;)

- Keith

Bob Vavricka
03-21-2012, 8:51 AM
Looks good Bill, that is a nice piece of walnut on the front. I see why you didn't want to throw it away. I bet your granddaughter really likes it. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Huber
03-21-2012, 8:54 AM
That's a very pretty little bank, Bill! You're right...it would have been a shame to toss that walnut. :eek: Great use, and a good idea!

Now, the question is.....is the slot big enough for all those silver dollars that fall outta your pockets? ;)

- Keith

No but it is big enough for the $20 gold ones will.....

Jim Rimmer
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
That is really neat. I may have to dig some stuff out of my scrap box. I can see why you wanted to find a use for that piece of Walnut.

Don Jarvie
03-21-2012, 2:09 PM
Thats really nice Bill. Is that Walnut burl or just a plain board.

Bill Huber
03-21-2012, 5:11 PM
Thats really nice Bill. Is that Walnut burl or just a plain board.

It was just a board I had bought and there was a big knot on the end and this was what I could save from the 6 foot board after the knot.

Jim Matthews
03-21-2012, 6:12 PM
"It is a box, kind of, there is no bottom in it, it is screwed to the base from the bottom, so when it comes time to get the money out just unscrew the base and there it is."

Is that how the Fed does it, too?
I like your magic box better, Bill...

Van Huskey
03-21-2012, 6:19 PM
Great idea.

Lewis Ehrhardt
03-21-2012, 6:37 PM
Nice looking box Bill, keep the ideas coming!

Bill Trouard
03-21-2012, 7:54 PM
Bill I just love seeing the ideas you come up with, so simple but as always very nice. if its not something like this, its a handy jig or other time saving idea.

John Coloccia
03-21-2012, 9:26 PM
That's very nice, Bill!

"It is a box, kind of, there is no bottom in it, it is screwed to the base from the bottom, so when it comes time to get the money out just unscrew the base and there it is."

Is that how the Fed does it, too?
I like your magic box better, Bill...

No. The Fed just taxes money going in, the money going out, and a dividend tax every time you touch the screws.

:)

Pat Barry
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Bill, that's a great present for your grandaughter. I suggest you sign it and date it if you haven't already and also engrave or carve her name on it. Very nice!