PDA

View Full Version : Travel options ?

Larry Edgerton
03-21-2012, 7:32 AM
I bought a Volvo wagon out in New Hope Pa., just north of Philly, and have to get there from Michigan.

Any suggestions?

I have not flown much since 9/11 as I have metal in my leg and always seem to end up in the little room, but if I have to I will fly.

Larry

Leigh Betsch
03-21-2012, 8:50 AM
Honda CX500, bring someone along to drive the cage home.

Bryan Slimp
03-21-2012, 9:23 AM
I'm not sure where you are in Michigan so I picked Cadillac. It sounds nice.

Google presents some great options. If you have 10 days you can walk. That puts it at a meager 72ish miles per day. Seems a bit generous, but you maybe a faster walker than I am. It seems that they assume you won't stop. So it maybe more along the line of a month.

About 3 days by bicycle. Again probably non-stop.

How about a train? I just checked Amtrak's website and you may be able to get there for about 150 bucks. It's not a very user friendly website.

David Weaver
03-21-2012, 9:57 AM
How about a train? I just checked Amtrak's website and you may be able to get there for about 150 bucks. It's not a very user friendly website.

Plenty of time on a bus or a train for a weirdo to befriend you. I'd take the chances and fly to either trenton or philadelphia and rent a car to pick up yours. Can the guy selling it meet you at a rent-a-car place so you don't have to backtrack anything?

Myk Rian
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
I bought a Volvo wagon out in New Hope Pa., just north of Philly, and have to get there from Michigan.

Any suggestions?

AmTrak!!!

We've taken the train to Denver, 4 times. That trip is 25 hours from A.A. It really is a great way to travel. Food is great.
You can also catch it in Pontiac, and I think Port Huron.
List of stations NE: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732508&cid=1237608346789
Midwest stations: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732508&cid=1237608346786

Lee Schierer
03-22-2012, 9:46 PM
From Erie, PA to Philly by train is about 12 hours. The train is comfortable and even has power outlets for your laptop or other devices to plug into. Scenery isn't much to get excited about until you start down the Hudson valley into NYC. We've made the trip twice and didn't meet any weirdos....From Michigan, get a sleeper and grab some shut eye along the way.

Curt Harms
03-23-2012, 7:52 AM
Larry, check your P.M.s

Randy Rose
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
One way rental car ?

Larry Edgerton
03-23-2012, 7:36 PM
Planes out, $900 bucks!

Train would be nice if I was not in a hurry. Working on a deadline job so two days is all I want to be gone. $160.

Wife's busy that weekend with big "Girls Weekend", so my normal travel partner is out.

Checking on one way rental. This weekend no go, spring break, no one way rentals so I may go next weekend and work Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Honda CX was one of my thoughts. Buy a small trailor and trailor it back, but no hitch on the car, and I don't have time to mess with it when I get there. Would be cool, but the eastern seaboard is about the last place I want to ride.

Every trucker I know is hauling loads west. Six months ago they were all hauling east. Go figure.

Walking takes too long, knees are too bad for bicycle these days, gave up skateboards. Busses suck. Was on one when I was 14, got out after about 50 miles and hitchhiked. Bad JuJu there......

Looks like driving my own car is the cheapest,$110 each way and a rental easier and second cheapest after deducting the $110.

Larry

Leigh Betsch
03-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Larry, it was a few days with out a response so I figured you were out on the highway with your thumb out! Maybe hire a retiree to do the pick up for you, then you can stay and work. Ok, that idea sucks.

Jim Becker
03-26-2012, 9:22 PM
Well, I live just up the street from your new Volvo. :)

If you fly, you can choose Philadelphia or consider the smaller airport up in Allentown. The train would be cumbersome, although you could conceivably get to Philadelphia or Trenton NJ by getting to Harrisburg PA and taking the Keystone route. The bus would be similar to the train. Honestly, flying is likely your best bet. Once you're in the area, you'll also have to consider how you'll get between the airport or other station type and your new car. It's a 50 mile ride from PHL to New Hope and about the same or slightly shorter from ABE. A car service or a one-way rental from a car rental that allows for local drop off. From the Trenton Amtrak station, it's not quite 20 miles to New Hope...a Taxi ride.

Unfortunately, as you've surmised, air travel can be pricy, depending on the "when", "to/from" and carrier. It wouldn't be a bad one-way drive, honestly. Enterprise has a place in New Hope at this end if that matters to you for convenience. Feel free to contact me privately if you need an information about the area. I'm happy to help.

Jeff Monson
03-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Why not get the car shipped?? You might check into it as auto shipping is very competitive on pricing.

Larry Edgerton
03-27-2012, 6:47 AM
Jim, Thanks for the local information. Enterprise does not rent one way, or that would be awesome. Probably have to drop car at Philly airport, but still checking. I am going to have two days to make the run home, any suggestions on a more interestig route?

Jeff, I sent a deposit for the car but can not get myself to pay for a car I have not personally inspected. I did check, its $850 because they seldom come up to my end of the state. That would not be bad, but I want to see the car before I hand over the cash.

Larry

Jeff Monson
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Jeff, I sent a deposit for the car but can not get myself to pay for a car I have not personally inspected. I did check, its $850 because they seldom come up to my end of the state. That would not be bad, but I want to see the car before I hand over the cash.

Larry

My bad Larry, for some reason I didn't realize you had not paid for it in full. I have had 3 cars shipped to me, all worked out very well. After considering travel expense, time off work (not that my time is worth anything), and additional headaches, it is pretty nice to have it show up on your driveway.

Matt Meiser
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Check flights last minute as well. I recently made some work travel arrangements that I thought would cost a fortune but when I checked the first time they weren't too bad about a week ahead. By the time the details were finalized and it was less than the week they'd dropped in half.

Greg Portland
03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Jim, Thanks for the local information. Enterprise does not rent one way, or that would be awesome. Moving trucks (Ryder, Penske, etc.) rent 1-way. Maybe finding their cheapest option (factoring in gas) would make sense?

+1 to the last minute flights idea... hang out at the airport for a day or two (mid week).

Jim Koepke
03-27-2012, 1:31 PM
Plenty of time on a bus or a train for a weirdo to befriend you.

My way of avoiding this is to look at them and say, "Nien spreken ze Englitch."

If they start speaking to me in German, I look at them more intently and say, "I don't speak German either."

jtk

Larry Edgerton
03-29-2012, 7:34 PM
Ok, This is the second weekend that I rearranged my whole schedule, arranged transportation, lodging, and help, and the seller will once again not be there to let me pick up the car. He want's me to ship it, which would mean he has the money before I see the car, so that makes me sceptical.

Last night I got a bit upset when I called him, and he said he would not be able to do it this weekend. It turned into a shouting match, but I guess he wins, he has the car and my money. When did he plan on letting me know?

I can afford to lose the $500 deposit a lot more than I can afford the frustration/stress/time. I'm going to blow it off, and after many years of buying cars on Ebay with no problems, I have had two bad deals in a row. All done with Ebay Auto.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

Joe Angrisani
03-30-2012, 9:29 AM
....He want's me to ship it, which would mean he has the money before I see the car, so that makes me sceptical....

IF YOU WANT THE CAR....
Can you use an escrow company? Can the money be released only when you've signed for the car after inspecting it at the shipper?

IF YOU WANT TO WALK AWAY....
Did he mention local pickup or something similar in his listing? If so, I'd say PayPal will refund your deposit if he isn't letting you pick it up in a timely manner.

Jim Becker
03-31-2012, 7:22 PM
Ask for a refund via EBay/PayPal since the seller is not willing to work with you around examining your purchase before finalizing.