PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Restored

Jeff Luedloff
03-20-2012, 7:54 PM
Hello all, I haven't been able to post in a while, been a little busy with the hustle and bustle of every day life. so i thought i would share one of my latest projects with you. My uncle actually got me hooked on vintage tools mostly treadles. In the early 1880's Albert Goodell designed this treadle lathe and saw combo while employed at Miller Falls. price for lathe, 5 turning tools, grind stone and 4 drill bits was $10.00. plus for $2.50 more you may get fret saw attachment. still looking for a few pieces.... before and after pics of my Goodell Impoved treadle lathe.

John Keeton
03-20-2012, 7:56 PM
Now, that is just awesome!! Great job, Jeff!

Brian Kent
03-20-2012, 7:58 PM
Wow, a restored work of art and an exercise machine all in one. That is beautiful.

Jamie Donaldson
03-20-2012, 8:04 PM
That's a rather odd combination of machines? Seems the table of the saw would really be in the way for turning, and obviously most of the turning was small spindle work, so I wonder what was being turned in those good ol' days? Looks like a nice job of restoration Jeff, and is there a market for such restored machines among collectors?

Jeff Luedloff
03-20-2012, 8:13 PM
I know collectors prefer original aged lathe, but this one will not be sold, for my own collection next on my list New Roger treadle saw. the saw attachment does come off for turning. this is a youth lathe.

Mike Stephens
03-20-2012, 8:36 PM
Fantastic. Beautiful lathe/saw.

Thanks for posting.

Thomas Canfield
03-20-2012, 9:17 PM
You got quite a machine there. It shouts "PEN TURNING DEMO", but you might have trouble getting a lot of speed for buffing. I bet you could draw a crowd.

Deane Allinson
03-20-2012, 9:51 PM
Great machine! Nice resto. too. Have you taken it for a test drive yet?
Deane

Tom Wilson66
03-20-2012, 9:55 PM
Nice job on the restoration. I would like to get one of the treadle machines, but don't have room to use it. The reason for making the scroll saw./lathe combination was to produce the ginger bread trim on the victorian houses. The scroll saw cut the scroll work (obviously) and the lathe was used to make the spindle pieces. At least that is what I read somewhere. Of course the scroll saw would be used for anything else on wanted to cut, same for the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Now that is down right beautiful. Great restoration.

Baxter Smith
03-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Great job on the restoration. The first time I ever saw something being turned was on a lathe similar to this one. Pretty neat!

Eric Holmquist
03-21-2012, 5:25 AM
We have three of these in my AAW chapter, and bring one or two of them to demos. They are always a big draw. We got Beth Ireland and Jimmy Clews turning on one of them. I've used them many times.

Charles Bjorgen
03-21-2012, 7:42 AM
That's pretty neat, Jeff. Hope to see it at a meeting. As a young GI I ran a treadle powered printing press while in the Army. I might have had the strongest right leg in western Europe at the time.

Russell Eaton
03-21-2012, 8:12 AM
I am glad someone restores and saves pieces of our past like this. You have done a great job, I am sure it will look great in your collection.

Hayes Rutherford
03-21-2012, 9:04 AM
Nice old treadle machine. I used to have a Barnes #6 treadle lathe but was converted to electric a long time ago. If the treadle parts were available I would have kept it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2012, 9:10 AM
First time I've seen one of these! Pretty cool machine and you did a great job on bringing it back to life!

Alan Trout
03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
That is a neat old treadle lathe/scroll saw and it turned out fantastic. When I was a kid my father was an industrial arts teacher and would work at and old historic German heritage museum that would demonstrate old tools once a year. They had an old treadle scroll saw that I would use. It was amazing how well that thing worked. I would spend hours on that thing. It seemed I would never get tired.

Alan

Jeff Luedloff
03-24-2012, 6:46 PM
Thank you every one.