PDA

View Full Version : You don't see this everyday (at least where I live)

Sparky Paessler
03-20-2012, 1:45 PM
Just got back from a mission trip to Guatemala and while there I got some pictures of the volcano Fuego erupting.
Third picture is the volcano Pacaya which was next to where we were working. It erupted two years ago. Got a few pieces of lava from one of it's flows.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2012, 1:59 PM
Sparky....Neat photos but since I have hiked few volcanic craters and saw the potential devistation.....you were too close to Fuego for my comfort when you took that photo....and I don't care how large the telephoto lens was!

Neat photos.......

Bruce Page
03-20-2012, 2:13 PM
Beautiful pictures. I saw the St. Augustine volcano erupting on my way to Kodiak, Alaska a few years ago. It was a sight to see!

Sparky Paessler
03-20-2012, 2:22 PM
Ken
we were about 6 miles away and did not go over there expecting to see it erupting. Just happened to be there at the right (or wrong depending on how big the eruption is) time to see it. It burped out about three ash clouds and then quit but later in the week we were about 25 miles away and it did it again. (I didn't see it that time as I was busy pulling wire). I was a little unconforable being so near Pacaya as it is active also and we were only 2 kilometers from it and old lava flows came to within 1/4 mile from us. Was interesting to see though! In this picture you can see the worksite in the lower right where the white buildings are right at the edge of the picture.

Jim Koepke
03-20-2012, 2:44 PM
We live about 40 miles from Mt. Saint Helens. We can see the top from the bottom of our hill on clear days when we go to town.

I would still rather live here, in "earthquake country," than in tornado or hurricane areas.

jtk