PDA

View Full Version : The Hundred Dollar French Brace

Tom Walz
03-20-2012, 1:44 PM
I finally received my hundred dollar French brace. It is better quality than the $20 braces from Great Neck and Fuller. It is not as good as the $20, secondhand Stanley from eBay.

When I bought it, I asked the guy if it was really worth 100 bucks. He replied that it was the only decent brace he could find. It was either this or the real cheapies.

I agree with him completely. It is an okay tool. It is not worth $100. But anything else new is much worse.

If you have to have a new tool you can either buy this or buy two of the $20 Fuller braces with the black and yellow handle.

I would not buy the Great Neck brace, with the red handles, unless I was desperate.

Mike Henderson
03-20-2012, 3:23 PM
I know you said "new" but there are a number of older braces that are quite good, from fixed braces (non-ratcheting) to ratcheting braces. But you probably already know this.

Mike

Tom Walz
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Mike,

Agree with you completely.

I bought about a dozen overall from eBay as well as from a seller here. I was surprised that all were as advertised or better. $20 gets you a good brace on eBay. My favorite is an old Stanley. The rest I donated to Triangle Lake School. http://www.blachly.k12.or.us/

Great school with the worst woodshop I have ever seen but Tosh is changing that.

Tom